Candidates can file for ASI elections

Filing is now open to be a part of Cal State Long Beach’s student government, Associated Students, Inc. Students have until 4 p.m. on Feb. 17 to apply.

They can do so by submitting an application on BeachSync and then emailing ASI.

ASI controls the money that students pay in their semesterly Associated Students fees.  Besides establishing the overall policy for the student government, ASI also awards grants to student organizations and provides both paid and volunteer opportunities for students.   

Roles that are up for the election include president, vice president, treasurer, senators, trustees-at-large and senator for Academic Senate.

ASI senators “serve as a voting member of the Associated Students Senate, representing the students within a particular college or the student community at-large,” according to its website.  

There are three trustee-at-large positions open, one on the University Student Union Board of Trustees, one on the Isabel Patterson Child Development Center Board of Trustees and one on the ASI Media Board of Trustees.

The Academic Senator will serve as a voting member on the Academic Senate at CSULB, a representative body of faculty and students that “reviews policies, practices, and procedures in matters of academic and professional concern and makes recommendations for implementing change, according to their website.”

Candidates will begin campaigning March 7.

Students can vote March 21-23, and the results will be announced on the following day, March 24.