Campus, Long Beach, News

ASI senate recommends Greek life adviser position

The Associated Students Inc. senate approved resolution to officially urge Student Life and Development to create and fill a position for a Greek life adviser during their Wednesday meeting. This position would act as an intermediary between Greek life and other organizations in addition to advising their members.

“I’ve been asked by students to get completely rid of Greek life off this campus because of the sexual assaults that happened last semester and this semester,” said Vanessa Coover, ASI senator for the College of Education, in response to the recent alleged sexual assaults at a Kappa Sigma party. “Obviously that’s not a probable idea because not all Greek life is terrible … they do a lot of great, great work.”

The Kappa Sigma chapter was suspended from campus after an unnamed female student reported that she was sexually assaulted at a fraternity house party Saturday night. A legal investigation is pending. Kappa Sigma nationals will also be conducting an investigation of their own to prevent future incidents, according to Brett Waterfield, Student Life and Development director.

Additionally, Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s campus chapter was formally disbanded this week by its national council for violating codes of conduct, Waterfield said. Sigma Alpha Epsilon was suspended last semester after two reports of sexual assault.[related title=”Related Stories” stories=”37557,37524,37522″ align=”left” background=”on” border=”all” shadow=”on”]

Senator Coover, Natural Science and Math Senator Miguel Garcia and Senator David Kling are working to create an outreach program to bring sexual consent education to high schools.