City of Long Beach seeks to expand bicycling network

The City of Long Beach is hosting the “ABC’s of Bicycling,” an open house for the Bicycle Master Plan, April 14 from 5-8 p.m.

The BMP is a document used to guide future improvements to the Long Beach bicycle network so that the city can become a more bicycle-friendly community. The goal is to expand the bicycle network, creating connections in every area of Long Beach. The overarching goal of the BMP is to increase bicycle use from the current usage by 1 percent of the population to 5 percent by the year 2020.

Alta Planning and Design is a company that specializes in the planning, design, engineering and implementation of bicycle, pedestrian, park, and trail facilities and systems. The company is planning to work with the Long Beach City Council to develop the bicycle plan.

Advertisement – Story continues below

twitters500-x500_

“Our goal is to target people of all ages, racial backgrounds, and classes,” said Ryan Johnson, senior planner of Alta Planning and Design. “Right now the majority of cyclists are middle-aged white males.”

Everyone is welcome to come out and learn more about the plan and the new bicycle projects and facilities such as the new Long Beach Bike Share program, Johnson said. Alto Planning and Design are also inviting attendees to make suggestions on how they would like to make Long Beach a more fun, safe and comfortable place for cyclists.

“The plan is not developed yet,” Johnson said. “The timeline for the plan to be developed with the City Council is by the end of this year.”

The open house event is a drop-in event; no one is obligated to stay the whole time. There will be free refreshments, prize giveaways, including free monthly passes for the Long Beach Bike Share program, and activities for children. Johnson encouraged people to bring their bikes to the event, which will have free bike valet and free bike safety checks, such as checking air in tires and brakes.

For more information, go to www.bikelongbeach.org.