California senators propose $2 billion bond bill

Democratic state senators have introduced a $2 billion higher education bond bill in an effort to improve infrastructure for University of California and California State University campuses.

The legislation, Senate Bill 483, was co-authored by Sen. Steve Glazer, D-Orinda and Sen. Ben Allen, D-Santa Monica, who also serves as chair of the Senate Education Committee.

The senators have proposed a statewide sale of $2 billion in general obligation bonds that will provide funding for new buildings at higher education institutions. California voters will have the opportunity to vote on the bonds in the 2018 general election.

“California’s public colleges and universities are a source of great pride to our state, but unfortunately we’ve allowed their physical facilities to fall into disrepair,” Allen said in a press release. “This bond measure will provide a much-needed and overdue investment in our higher education infrastructure.”

The so-called investment will help lower the price tag of future facilities projects at public universities, which come at a much greater cost than the proposed $2 billion, according to the joint authors of the bill.

The CSU system needs $7 billion for short-term and long-term construction projects, while the UC body needs $10 billion. The two systems are currently able to self-fund about half of their respective capital requirements for desired buildings and renovations.

The construction of the new College of Continuing & Professional Education building at Cal State Long Beach costs $30 million alone, according to a recent article published on the CSULB website. The CCPE building is expected to be available to students in Fall 2018, but until then, students and staff of the college will continue using classrooms dispersed throughout the campus.

“This measure provides important financial backing for critical upgrades to our libraries and classrooms on college campuses,” Glazer said in a statement. “And I believe voters should be given a chance to continue the proud legacy of supporting our universities and colleges.”

A similar $1.6 billion dollar bond was approved by voters in 2006, but that capital has since been used up. A $9 billion K-12 construction bond was also approved last November.

The Public Policy Institute of California released a survey in December 2016 that shows a majority of likely voters (60 percent) support a bond measure specifically tailored for higher education facilities, such as SB 483. The survey also revealed about half of likely voters (48 percent) would be willing to pay higher taxes in order to fund new and improved buildings at public universities, while only about one in five (21 percent) support increased student fees.

The PPIC survey also reveals that 67 percent of adults believe state funding for California colleges and universities is inadequate. In addition, 49 percent believe that along with increasing state funding, existing funds should be used more wisely. 36 percent believe the wiser use of existing funds alone would effectively work to improve the school systems.

“Students shouldn’t have to spend more money on fees every single time the school decides there should be a new building,” said CSULB senior business major Eduardo Perez. He plans to vote yes on the proposed bill.