ASI Senate plans to address lack of bike racks on campus

Associated Students Inc. discussed potentially implementing new procedures to tackle the issue of bike thefts and the lack of bike racks on campus at Wednesday’s senate meeting 

“Bike thefts are one of the school’s biggest issues, crime wise,” Sen. Ryan Phong said. “We’d like to prevent the crime before it happens, rather than try to catch them after.”

Phong acknowledged the University Police Department’s efforts to help increase the number of bike cages throughout campus and anticipated future plans will help address bike vandalism and theft. After the meeting, Phong said he plans to bring the students’ concerns to the ASI President Lizbeth Velasquez at a later time to work on a solution.

The meeting opened with a speech from 2018-19 ASI President Genesis Jara to the new board of directors and senate. 

“I want you all to remember that leadership is about serving others and having a servant’s heart,” Jara said. “Life is about what you can give, rather than what you get. Do your job and advocate without seeking anything in return.”

College of Liberal Arts Sen. Daniella Hernandez also announced plans to meet with Mary Ann Takemoto, interim vice president of student affairs, to start prioritizing mental health resources for students. 

ASI Vice President Leen Almahdi announced a plan for ASI members to talk to 100 different classes in 100 days to increase senate transparency. Almahdi hopes the motion will allow students to see that the senate is taking action in regards to their concerns. 

The next ASI Senate meeting will be held Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 3:30 p.m. in USU 234.