Super Tuesday overtakes CSULB

10:20 a.m.

As votes rolled in overnight, the candidates’ standings changed in the Long Beach City Council race.

The seat for District 2 is now back in the hands of Cindy Allen. At 10 p.m. her opponent, Robert Fox, surpassed her by a small margin. Allen now leads by a little more than 1%.

Suely Saro and Al Austin II are still in the lead for their positions.

Measure A still does not appear to have voter support, although the margin has closed to .08%.

The support for Measure B surged, bringing the vote to over 15% in support.

Proposition 13 now has over 4% of the vote in support of adding the measure to the November ballot.

In California, 415 delegates were up for grabs, the most out of any state during Super Tuesday. Bernie Sanders was called the early winner of the state, and he is still in the lead as of Wednesday morning by 11.18%.

10:10 p.m.

Long Beach City Council polls have been updated.

Robert Fox, local businessman, has now surpassed Cindy Allen by 1.33% in the polls for the District 2 seat.

Suely Saro and Al Austin II have maintained their positions as leaders lead of the polls for Districts 6 and 8.

Measure B’s lead has increased to over 10%.

At this time, only 32% of California’s votes have been counted. Bernie Sanders remains as the front runner with 29% of the votes, 9.4% ahead of Joe Biden.

Proposition 13 has pulled ahead with a .13% margin in favor as of 10:25 p.m.

9:20 p.m.

Long Beach City Council front runners have been posted as of 9 p.m. 

Cindy Allen, former Long Beach Police Department officer, is ahead in District 2. 

Suely Saro, past chair of Long Beach’s Citizen Police Complaint Commission, is ahead District 6.

Incumbent Al Austin II is ahead District 8. 

Voters appear to be rejecting ballot Measure A, City of Long Beach Transactions and Use Tax Extension, by 3.82%.

Measure B, City of Long Beach Transient Occupancy (Hotel Bed Tax), is expected to pass by almost 9%.

In the state overall, Bernie Sanders remains the top presidential candidate with 32.13% of the vote, nearly 15% more than any other candidate. 

Proposition 13, which would reallocate funds to benefit public education programs including the California State University system, has been rejected by voters on a 2.78% margin as of 9:15 p.m. 

9:00 p.m.

As election results continue to roll in an hour after the polls were set to close, thousands are still reported to be waiting in line across the country.

Approximately 200 people are still waiting at the Walter Pyramid to vote. 

Enlarge

IMG_2108-scaled
Hundreds of prospective voters wait to cast their votes in the Walter Pyramid on Super Tuesday around 8:30 p.m. The line was estimated to take over an hour and a half.

Perry Continente

William Leal, third-year civil engineering major, is waiting to participate in his first election.

“I’m not really much into politics, but I’m into Bernie lately,” Leal said. “I need to be more involved, I’m trying to get more involved.”

Pedro Roman, local resident, and his little sister were some of the many people waiting in line at the vote center.

“We’ve been dealing with this stuff for four years, we need a change,” Roman said.

Roman admitted that he did little research for the local election, however.

“I did my last minute research yesterday,” Roman said. “I’m trying to make America better again.”

Others, like Nick Halcomb and David Walker, turned the long wait into a fun experience by playing games on their Nintendo Switches. 

Enlarge

IMG_0908-scaled
Prospective voters slump against a wall in the Walter Pyramid waiting for their turn to cast a ballot.

Perry Continente

Bernie Sanders’ campaign filed a request about an hour ago to extend polling in Los Angeles to 11 p.m. to compensate for the high volume of voters still waiting to cast their ballots.

8:07 p.m.

Bernie Sanders has been named the early winner for the primary in California and Texas.

The senator secured 55% of hispanic voters and over 70% of the 18 to 29 year old voters in California.

Votes are still being counted and final results will be counted soon.

6:21 p.m.

Long lines are still streaming out of the Walter Pyramid voting center.

Employees said that the wait is still over an hour at this time.

According to California law, as long as voters are in line by 8 p.m., their vote will still be counted.

5:05 p.m.

According to Tresa Quevedo, county clerk, voting is available again in the pyramid.

“I said it would be ten minutes and it was under five,” Quevedo said. “They came with a big stack of ballots.”

However, wait time to cast a ballot remains long, topping an hour and a half.

Enlarge

Chittum_PyramidVoting5
Voters wait in line for their turn at the polls inside the Walter Pyramid at Long Beach State on Tuesday, March 3, 2020. Students and faculty registered to vote in Los Angeles County were able vote at the on-campus center from Feb. 29 to March 3 by either casting an in-person ballot or dropping off a vote-by-mail ballot.

Kevin Chittum/Daily Forty-Niner

4:45 p.m.

At approximately 3:50 p.m. the voting center inside the Walter Pyramid ran out of ballots.

Voting staff said that it would take approximately an hour and a half to secure more ballots for voters.

The polls are set to close at 8 p.m., meaning voters hoping to cast their ballots in the pyramid will narrowly make the deadline. 

For those with already completed ballots looking to drop off, the center is still open.

4:40 p.m.

Local and presidential primary elections are underway for “Super Tuesday.”

Voters in the city of Long Beach have several city council positions to consider as well as two ballot measures. 

A total of seven candidates are running to represent District 2, to replace incumbent Jeannine Pearce, who is not running for reelection.

Daryl Supernaw, incumbent representative for District 4, is running unopposed.

Six candidates are running to represent District 6, including incumbent representative Vice Mayor Dee Andrews.

Al Austin II, current representative for District 8 is running against two other individuals for the position. 

Residents will also have the chance to decide on Ballot Measure A, City of Long Beach Transactions and Use Tax Extension and Ballot Measure B, City of Long Beach Transient Occupancy (Hotel Bed Tax) and Proposition 13. 

The transactions and use tax extension would extend the life of a 1% tax on all goods sold within the city to bolster the general fund of Long Beach to October 2027. 

The hotel bed tax would increase a 6% tax on all hotel guests to 7% in the city to help provide funding for arts and education, advertising and promotion and to the city’s general fund.

Proposition 13 would reallocate $15 million to education, $2 million of which could benefit schools like Long Beach State and Long Beach City College. Funds would be used to help retrofit buildings and provide funding for new developments, such as the proposed College of Health and Human Services buildings. 

Fifteen states, including California, will also be voting for the presidential candidate for both the Republican and Democratic Parties. 

Perry Continente and Julissa Villalobos, staff writers contributed to this article.