President Biden speaks at LBCC, urges voters to support Newsom

By: Tin Huynh, Nicholas James, Lauren Ramirez and Ulysses Villa

President Joe Biden arrived in Long Beach yesterday in an effort to support Gov. Gavin Newsom ahead of the last day for the gubernatorial recall election.

Biden arrived in California for the first time since defeating former Republican President Donald Trump in last year’s election. He spoke at Long Beach City College Monday evening, minutes after Air Force One landed at Long Beach Airport.

President Joe Biden arrives at Long Beach airport on Monday to lend support to the Democratic Governor of California, Gavin Newsom, in an effort to urge voters to vote "No" on the recall ballot on Tuesday, Sept. 14. Credit: Ulysses Villa
President Joe Biden arrives at Long Beach airport on Monday to lend support to the Democratic Governor of California, Gavin Newsom, in an effort to urge voters to vote “No” on the recall ballot on Tuesday, Sept. 14.  Photo credit: Jorge Villa

“The reason why I am here, and why you are all here, is for Gov. Gavin Newsom,” he said. “The decision you’re going to make is not going to impact just California, it’s going to reverberate throughout the country.”

With the election coming to a close, the latest polls show that Newsom is projected to retain his position as California governor despite growing protests and recall efforts by the Republican Party.

Biden said that voting no on the recall election would block Trump Republicans from beating the pandemic, calling Republican candidate Larry Elder “a clone” of Donald Trump.

Elder said in a CNN interview young people should not be wearing masks and does not agree with the science behind COVID-19.

“I don’t believe the science suggests that young people should be vaccinated,” he said. “I don’t believe that young people should have to wear masks at school. I’m not sure the science is settled on that at all.”

Holding signs saying “F*ck Newsom,” “’Newscum” and “Unvaxxed Lives Matter,” hundreds of protesters stood outside and marched over Carson Street. Protestors shouted and harassed many of Newsom’s supporters and journalists covering the event.

Hundreds stood outside and marched over Carson Street to support the recall election that took place Sept. 14. Video credit: Reyn Ou and Erik Zamora

Nearly 100 Long Beach and highway officers were at the event to control the crowds from acting out. Some officers were in riot gear in preparation for any escalation.

Forty-Niner reporters who tried to interview supporters leaving after the event were repeatedly harassed by Trump supporters, criticizing them for wearing masks and continuously interrupting the interviews.

Daily Forty-Niner staff members Reyn Ou and Ulysses Villa speak about their experience covering Gov. Gavin Newsom’s Stop the Recall Rally. Podcast credit: Jeremy Taylor

One LBCC student, Anthony Lopez, said he came to the event just to see President Biden. Although Lopez believes the recall election is a waste of taxpayer’s money, he was excited for the opportunity to see the 46th president.

“When are you often going to see the president here in Long Beach?” he said.