Campus, CSU, News

CSULB ASI Beach Pride Events confirms re-scheduled Week of Welcome event dates

Long Beach State’s Beach Pride Events moved the spring semester’s Week of Welcome (WoW) event to the end of February due to the campus’ late start for in-person instruction.

The new WoW dates will be from Feb. 28 to March 3 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the central quad. 
Photo credit: CSULB Beach Pride Events
The re-scheduled WoW dates will be from Feb. 28 to March 3 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the central quad.

Photo credit: CSULB Beach Pride Events

Originally, Week of Welcome (WoW) was postponed by Beach Pride Events after the university announced the temporary delay of in-person instruction until Monday, Feb. 7 due to the rise of COVID-19 omicron variant cases.

Kasey Schoen, Beach Pride Events’ program manager, said the original dates of WoW were scheduled from Jan. 31 through Feb. 3, but “Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) made the decision to postpone the program until after face-to-face instruction had resumed on campus.”

“The health and safety of our students and campus community is a top priority for ASI,” Schoen said. “Due to the COVID-19 case rates and status of public health, ASI felt postponing the program to a later time was the best and safest option.”

For the safety and well-being of students, Schoen also said ASI will continue to implement the same safety protocols used for the fall 2021 semester’s WoW such as “[providing] hand sanitizer bottles at each organization’s table, having [only] four club members behind their tables and at least four feet of distance between tables.”

“To ensure these safety precautions are met, all organizations and departments must agree to the safety requirements during registration,” she said. “They are all reminded again at event check-in and our event staff will do regular checks throughout the event to sure compliance.”

While safety is ASI’s top priority, campus organization participants tabling at WoW are required to wear a mask at all times, according to the ASI website.

However, general attendees are “highly encouraged to wear a mask while participating at the event,” according to Schoen.

“In addition to our event protocols, attendees and registered organizations must follow the campus guidelines and policies in place at that time,” Schoen said.

All CSULB clubs, organizations and campus departments who would like to get a table for the WoW event must do so at 5 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 21 through ASI’s registration portal.

Photo credit: CSULB Beach Pride Events

Photo credit: CSULB Beach Pride Events

For more information on Week of Welcome, visit www.asicsulb.org/wow to learn more.