Campus, CSU, Long Beach, News

Tropical Storm Kay cancels Smorgasport

Associated Students, Inc., cancel Smorgasport out of caution due to severe weather conditions of possible heavy winds and rain from Topical Storm Kay.

Smorgasport, a free carnival event for Long Beach State students and faculty packaged with rides, food, games and music, was scheduled to take place this weekend for the first time since the two-year break due to the pandemic.

However, extreme weather conditions from Tropical Storm Kay, which has been quickly moving up the coast from San Diego County, has led to the event’s cancellation out of safety concerns.

“We are 100% rescheduling this event,” said Shannon Couey, ASI Communications Coordinator. “Smorgasport is definitely still happening.”

Currently, ASI is working with administration and vendors to find a new date for the free carnival event, searching for a time to host the carnival without interfering with other planned events.

“Things are moving relatively quickly,” Couey said. “We want to accommodate with all parties involved.”

Tropical Storm Kay is expected to bring high winds and heavy rain to parts of Southern California from Friday until Saturday evening, according to the Weather Prediction Center.

There is an 80% chance of rain and possible thunderstorms in Long Beach after 11 p.m. on Friday, according to the National Weather Service, with 100% chance of precipitation and possible storms after 11 a.m. on Saturday.

Temperatures from the record-breaking heat wave remain high on Friday, with a high of 99, but are expected to drop to the lower 80s over the weekend.