Campus, Long Beach, News

Gas prices spike again

By Marlon Villa and Ashley Wilkes

The average price of regular gas in California has increased by a dollar in the last month, sitting now at $6.33, only ten cents off from the highest ever price of gas recorded, which was on June 14, 2022, at $6.43.

This is the second spike in gas prices this year, which is financially stressful for Long Beach State students who commute up to two hours to campus, with LA County and Long Beach averaging at $6.41 per gallon.

“The gas prices are going up, but my wage stays the same,” said Jerry Hernandez, a third-year student at CSULB. “I am not able to live my normal lifestyle and have to work on budgeting more.”

Apps like GasBuddy, Waze and WEX Connect help students save money by providing lists of the cheapest gas stations.

According to GasBuddy, the cheapest gas stations in Long Beach include VP racing fuels located on 3605 E 7th St with $5.09 a gallon, Arco located on 1001 Redondo Ave with $5.15 a gallon, Oasis Fuel located on 1777 W Wardlow Rd with $5.20 a gallon and Speedway Express located on 907 E 7th St with $5.35 a gallon.

Governor Gavin Newsom and lawmakers also made an agreement in June to send millions of California taxpayers between $200 and $1,050 to help cover the cost of living.

Gas rebate checks, officially known as the states Middle-Class Tax Refund, are expected to be distributed from Oct. 7 through January 2023. The checks will be issued by California’s Franchise Tax Board via direct deposit and debit cards.

Eligibility depends on income and how taxes are filed by the individual. An individual who makes $75,000 or less per year is eligible for $350, and families with at least one dependent will earn an additional $350 check.

Gas prices rose this time due to a series of planned and unplanned refinery maintenance issues which has caused an overall shortage of refined gas. Gas prices typically change very quickly– gas prices can suddenly increase in price just as they can suddenly decrease.

“Gasoline prices can change rapidly if something disrupts crude oil supplies, refinery operations, or gasoline pipeline deliveries…gasoline prices fluctuate because of seasonal changes in demand and in gasoline specifications,” said the U.S. Emergency Information Administration.