Peterson Hall food trucks risk removal after low sales quota

Long Beach State late-day students might lose dining option, as the food truck spot next to Peterson Hall is unable to hit sales quota.

Through the Curbside Bites website, students are able to buy a variety of food such as burgers, hot dogs, tacos, desserts, and coffee through food trucks booked from CSULB. The food trucks are different throughout the week.

CSULB students have more food options on campus throughout the day, with food truck spots located at Friendship Walk and next to Peterson Hall.

The food truck at Friendship Walk is open on weekdays, Monday through Thursday, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Peterson Hall location is booked until the end of October from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

ASI found in their latest meeting, the late-day food trucks at Peterson Hall are not hitting their daily sales minimum.

The Curbside Bites website says the food truck vendors must hit a $1,200 purchase minimum before taxes. The early-day food trucks at both Friendship Walk and Peterson Hall are hitting their sales quota, as they weren’t mentioned at the ASI meeting.

Students and staff have voiced their opinion on the food truck and dining on campus.

Dee Hyppolite, the recruitment and event coordinator, described her experience with the food trucks.

“I paid about $25 for two meals at this [food truck] and I don’t find it expensive. I [once] paid $15 for a hot dog,” Hyppolite said. “I come to the food trucks because we don’t have enough restaurants on campus.”

With The Nugget still closed, there are fewer dining options on campus throughout the day.

The University Student Plaza holds other fast food options, but not many are open after 4 p.m.

The late-night food trucks would be open on campus from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Noah Leu, CSULB computer science major, said it was his first time eating from the food trucks.

“I just wanted to try the [food] truck. I mainly get food from the convenience store,” the computer science major said. “The [food] cost like $20, without tax for two meals. I think $10 [per meal] is a reasonable price.”

Shannon Couey, the ASI communications coordinator, cited information from the Event Service Staff, confirming the daytime food trucks on upper and lower campus will remain until the end of the semester.

However, the night food trucks on upper campus are being assessed as they are dependent on consistent customer engagement.