Campus, Long Beach, News

No Barriers Campaign hopes to ease students’ financial stress

The No Barriers Campaign (NBC) was launched on Sept. 30 to give students opportunities for enhancing their support services, strengthen co-curricular programs and scholarships.

The $275 million campaign is the largest fundraising effort in the Long Beach State’s 73 years.

CSULB president Jane Close Conoley said 70% to 80% of students receive financial aid.

Students pass by a No Barriers banner near the College of Business and Kleefeld museum. These banners are displayed throughout campus and in Long Beach.
Students pass by a No Barriers banner near the College of Business and Kleefeld museum. These banners are displayed throughout campus and in Long Beach. Photo credit: El Nicklin

“The idea is that financial need should not be a barrier,” Conoley said. “It’s still expensive to come to the university because not everyone can work full-time.”

She said programs such as workforce preparation, paid internships and skill-building workshops would be available to help broaden students’ knowledge on getting ready for the next step.

The NBC is built upon three pillars which CSULB feels are vital to the success of the university, including creating a national model for student achievement, empowerment and equity and shaping California’s future workforce and elevating the community while advancing public good.

Daniel Montoya, vice president for University Relations and Development, hopes the No Barriers Campaign will empower students to build a life with purpose.

A No Barriers banner is shown between the Hall of Science and campus Bookstore as students pass by.
A No Barriers banner is shown between the Hall of Science and campus Bookstore as students pass by. Photo credit: El Nicklin

He said students should be free to devote singular focus on their education and have the support of the university regardless of their background.

Their biggest focus is making sure every student will be unencumbered financially throughout their college experience.

The Beach 2030 plan is something that was created to help guide the work of CSULB for the next 10 years through planning and preparation while taking pressures of the future into consideration.

The NBC fits in with the plan because the targets for the campaign align with the idea of the 2030 plan.

“Every student should have a chance to eat. Every faculty member should feel supported. So some money would probably go for some vouchers or research stipends for faculty to make sure they can involve students in their labs,” Conoley said.

A No Barriers fence banner overlooks the path between the pyramid parking structure and field on campus.
A No Barriers fence banner overlooks the path between the pyramid parking structure and field on campus. Photo credit: El Nicklin

“The campaign is aimed at funding some of the things we had promised to do in The Beach 2030 strategic plan.”

She said she wants to create memorable college experiences that students would normally get in more advanced programs at other schools. The school wants to inspire students with a vibrant campus to feel welcomed whenever they are at LBSU and to actually want to be there.

Montoya said some other additional funds would help with The Beach athletics and ensure that student athletes have the proper equipment to stay healthy and play hard while still maintaining their degrees.