Our View-Dying little boy exemplified rare selfless humanity

When economies take a tumble, we seem to forget our humanities in a struggle for self survival. Optimism and confidence is rapidly waning in light of Monday’s announcement by the National Bureau of Economic Research that the U.S. is officially in the thralls of a recession.

Most Americans knew we were in a depression long before the official declaration. News reports have highlighted stock market declines, rising unemployment, the burst of the housing bubble and other indicators even before gas prices hit their all-time high during the summer.

In the visceral realm of “How bad can it get?,” probably nothing hits home about human nature like the events of last Friday. In their rush to get the best “Black Friday” bargains at a Long Island, New York Wal-Mart, approximately 2,000 shoppers trampled a security worker to death.

The shoppers weren’t concerned with safety; they were focused on snatching up iPods and laptops on the cheap. Human life ended up being cheaper.

But one little boy showed that not everything in life is about consumerism and greed. Brenden Foster, an 11-year-old boy in Bothell, Wash. showed the world that there is still a spirit that transcends the individual self; one that involves the heart.

Brenden had battled leukemia for three years when he suffered a relapse last December, according to The Associated Press. During the summer, doctors told Brenden he didn’t have long to live. A few weeks before Thanksgiving, doctors told the fifth-grader he only had about two weeks.

Rather than spending his last days dwelling on his own misery, Brenden made his last wishes. His main wish was to feed the homeless. The selfless youngster told a local TV station, “I saw this big thing full of homeless people, and then I thought, ‘I should just get them something … They’re probably starving, so give ’em a chance, food and water.'”

While Brenden was too sick to personally do anything about feeding the homeless, his story immediately inspired others across the nation to act on his behalf. Food banks and homeless shelters from coast to coast saw increased donations in Brenden’s name.

The residual effects of economic hard times go far beyond being able to afford the latest widgets and doodads for Christmas. As the recession continues, local charities, food banks and homeless shelters will feel an increase in need. Homelessness will grow and more people will go hungry.

The New York City Coalition Against Hunger’s Annual Hunger Survey reports that “emergency food providers are serving 28% more people in 2008 than they had last year.”

The Los Angeles Times reported that “Catholic Charities of Orange County assembled Thanksgiving dinners for 500 families” last week, but “word of the free food attracted 920 families, many of whom left empty-handed….”

There are many ways to help fight the current food crisis through donations and volunteerism, and there are places where people in need can find emergency food. One national network, Feeding America — formerly America’s Second Harvest — has a food bank locator on its website feedingamerica.org.

We encourage our Cal State Long Beach community and others to help out as best they can afford. Even if it hurts your wallet a bit during this recession, remember that others are probably worse off and need all the help they can get.

About feeding the homeless, Brenden Foster told his mother, “‘Tis the season to give.” He passed away the day after Thanksgiving. We implore our readers to follow the wise, dignified and noble example of this selfless little boy.

Keep your thoughts upon the doughnut and not upon the hole.