Our View-National leaders mimic California fiscal stalemate

It looks like we’ve finally witnessed a handshake across the aisle that America can appreciate; protecting the people’s right to watch “American Idol” on analog TV. It’s a good thing our fates aren’t in the hands of California politicians. If they were, we’d still be watching radio.

It didn’t take much discussion on Wednesday for the House of Representatives to decide the digital television conversion switch over could wait until June 12 instead of meeting the congressional Feb. 17 deadline. President Barack Obama had asked for the delay shortly before his inauguration.

Worried that millions of U.S. citizens would be suddenly “Boob Tubeless,” the Senate passed the same delay the week prior. It’s nice to see politicians agree on something.

Less than a month into Obama’s administration and bickering between Democrats and Republicans over his economic stimulus plan threatens to turn his hair snowy white.

It seems like only yesterday that the elected elite swore allegiance-in-unison to the newbie to work together and fix the country. That “Kum Ba Yah” moment lasted less than a heartbeat.

Both sides knew Obama was seeking an $819 billion package to pump life back into the economy. When the package showed up in the House of Representatives, though, conservatives started acting like somebody was shoving sour lemons up their keesters.

When the vote hit the floor, Republicans marched in lockstep and unanimously voted “No dice.” The GOP wants to jumpstart the economy relying only on tax cuts, a plan that’s about as ridiculous as declaring Rush Limbaugh — who called the package “porkulus” on his talk show — is a flaming liberal.

Democrats, wrapped in the stimulus bill like pigs in a blanket, have a hard time digesting tax cuts of any kind. Among the pork bill spending is $88 million for a new polar icebreaker for the Coast Guard, $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees and $850 million for Amtrak.

The bill passed 244-188 almost completely along party lines and is facing tougher scrutiny in the Senate, even though both parties claim they can set aside ideology.

One of the huge carrots on the stick is aid to individual states, also known as the divide-and-conquer strategy. Each state is being teased with money for “health care, clean energy, education and a 21st century infrastructure,” according to a 72-page White House memo given to an army of U.S. mayors visiting the White House last week. California, for instance stands to gain 421,000 jobs, CBS News reported.

Most Senate Republicans are calling the stimulus package smoke and mirrors, while attempting to mount a major offensive against the spending provisions.

It’s tempting to ask the rhetorical question, “Are federal politicians mimicking California’s legislators?”

While state lawmakers are running around like decapitated chickens trying to wriggle out of a $42 billion trap, State Controller John Chiang has put the kibosh on their per diem welfare payments, including $173 per day they get for having a second house in Sacramento.

State employees have been put on notice that they will have to pay for their own gas to work and will not be reimbursed for travel expenses. This follows on the heels of a Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger-mandated furlough of two days per month.

Conversely, obstinate legislators continue to receive as much as $4,800 per month in expenses — on top of six-figure salaries — according to the Sacramento Bee “Capitol Report.” It’s hard to see what their incentive might be to end the budget stalemate as long as they’re being paid so well to maintain a fiscal quagmire.

Just last week, Chiang stopped writing checks to pay some bills. When the Legislature’s self-imposed deadline passed on Feb. 1, Chiang stood by his promise to not pay $3.3 billion in income tax refunds, Cal Grants to college students and SSI to seniors and disabled people.

State Democrats want a combination of spending cuts and tax increases, while Republicans stand fast on refusing to negotiate if any tax increases are involved. It’s like a perpetual staring contest and nobody is blinking. As a result, the state’s economy is virtually non-existent.

A certain amount of tension and debate over ideological borders is expected, but when a lack of bipartisanship puts a stranglehold on the people depending on leadership, compromise is in order.

No wonder zoos keep donkeys and elephants in separate pens. They don’t seem to play well together — either at the state or national level.