Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,
I understand that the full color flyer inserted into Monday’s paper was a paid ad against abortion. However, the only identifying feature was the website Nucleus Medical Art from which the images were taken.

I believe there is a law that requires that political ads must carry the name of the ad sponsor(s). As this ad is clearly political, in the full sense of the word, I look forward to the Daily Forty-Niner informing us as to the sponsoring individual(s) or organization of this paid advertisement.

-Wendy Griffin,
Women’s Studies department chair

The Editor responds:
The Daily Forty-Niner‘s policy is to print the source of every advertisement. The business manager mistakenly thought Nucleus Medical Art was the source of the insert advertisement in Monday’s paper.

The person who purchased the advertisement and who now requests anonymity has been advised that anonymity will not be possible in future ads. The Daily Forty-Niner regrets the oversight.

-Colleen Donnelly,
Editor in Chief

NOT in denial

Funny, no one mentions the baby in the flyer … we talk loudly about women’s rights, ideological agenda setting, but no one acknowledges the baby. Maybe the child is not really there. If so, then why all the brouhaha?

Jay,
    Then why not include a flyer showing the procedural practices of organ transplants, euthanasia, capital punishment, medically determined birth terminations, etc. to protect and inform “people not wanting to see the outcome”? Your assertion that the clearly pro-life ad was not a form of ideological agenda setting is preposterous. Spending 20 years to push for an overturn of Roe v Wade is obsessive/compulsive, showing you and your colleague are nut jobs with no grasp of women’s rights. You’re both sick because the aim was for shock value.

The advertiser can’t remain anonymous from me, because I know them personally and was aware this flyer was going to be inserted a week or so before it happened. However, I was not involved and only know this person by their first name.

That being said, the flyer isn’t anything new. It’s been around for many years. I know this from being involved in 20 years of pro-life work. However, the flyer isn’t pro-life. It is from an abortion neutral organization that puts out similar looking fliers on all sorts of surgeries.

I agree with Open Minded One. This is about the collective guilt of so-called “pro-choice” people not wanting to see the results of abortion.

For the Truth

The full color flyer was not for or against abortion. It was an image from Nucleus Medical Art of an abortion — nothing more, nothing less. If Ms. Griffin can find anything political on that insert, please make it known! The source probably paid for the license to reproduce it. So who is getting political here ??

If this advertiser can remain anonymous, then so can I

“future” ads??!?! I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that the business manager did not know who was paying for the ad, and I believe it is the 49er’s ethical and apparently legal obligation to disclose what group or individual it was that printed the ad. But from how this issue has been handled so far, I’m pretty sure it will continue to shirk off these responsibilities.

I think Jason Aula, the 49er’s new hire, may have had a role in this. 😡

Open Minded One

You abortionist need to get over yourselves already. The ad just showed what abortion actually is and othing more – there were no pro-life messages in that ad. Yet your abortionists are upset, why? Could it be that by seeing what abortion does you have some guilt, which would mean you support mass murder/genocide? Hmmmm