Long Beach State students anticipate the new year

Austin Brumblay / Daily Forty-Niner

Name: Joseph Hammana 

Hometown: Santa Cruz

Year and major: First-year computer science major

What are your hopes for the year?: “I’m mainly excited to study computer science, meet new people in the dorm and make new friends…[I]  have a completely new life here.”

Are you nervous about anything this semester?: “Everything makes me nervous, everything is fresh and new, trying to find my place is kind of overwhelming but I’m sure ill get used to it.”

What advice do you hope other students give you?: “I don’t really know how I’m going to get around right now.”

Austin Brumblay / Daily Forty-Niner

Name: Christian Thomas-Speler

Hometown: Palmdale

Year and major: First-year math major

What are your hopes for the year?: I hope I gain good experience, break out of my shell, get used to the situation and make a lot of friends

Are you nervous about anything this semester?: “The classes, yeah, definitely, I got kind of a weird schedule, kind of, and I don’t know any of the teachers so hopefully, they’re cool.”

What advice do you hope other students give you?: “Hopefully I don’t get lost, so, directions.”

Ryan Guitare / Daily Forty-Niner

Name: Alex Bourne

Hometown: Lompoc California 

Year and major: First-year undeclared, pre-computer science

What are your hopes for the year?: “Get used to the campus, the new lifestyle and getting to enjoy the first semester of college.”

Are you nervous about anything this semester?: “Being out on my own, having to share a room, the dorms and doing good in my classes as well.”

What advice do you hope other students give you?: “The good places to hang out where its cool, it’s hot today”

Ryan Guitare / Daily Forty-Niner

Name: Megan Flynn

Hometown: Lake Tahoe 

Year and major: first-year nursing major 

What are your hopes for the year?: “I’m just hoping to meet new people and explore since I’m from the mountains and this is a beach town and everything. Get to know the area better I guess.

Are you nervous about anything this semester?: “None yet, maybe ask me in a week.”

What advice do you hope other students give you?: “Don’t be afraid to be yourself.”

Ryan Guitare / Daily Forty-Niner

Name: Marley Begorre

Hometown: Hemmet  

Year and major: First-year kinesiology major

What are your hopes for the year?: “I just want to feel comfortable here, it is a really big campus and I’m not used to that big of a school yet.”

Are you nervous about anything this semester? : “Honestly no, I feel comfortable here so I can’t complain.”

What advice do you hope other students give you?: “Stay safe, I feel safe, but be alert.”