CSULB students spill the tea on the mascot debate

Kaitlyn Doktorzyk second-year speech pathology major 

What was your reaction to the whole mascot search? “It kinda just seemed like our mascot was given to us for a reason, its when we were founded.”

What do you think about Conoley tweeting the sharks not being the official mascot? “It makes us seem scattered.”

Luke Williams fourth-year English major

What was your reaction to the whole mascot search? “I think it was good that we [were] going to replace the miner. It might have been problematic for some people. It was fun and cute. I know some people wanted a tiger shark, some people wanted a giraffe.”

What do you think about Conoley tweeting the sharks not being the official mascot? “I guess it’s up to President Conoley what we do with our mascot. I guess we decided one thing, and she wants something else. Interesting.”

Rayvone Huntsman fourth-year Political Science major.

What was your reaction to the whole mascot search? “I thought it was a tad bit over the top. Don’t get me wrong I do get what they were saying in regards to the Native Americans, but we need to choose our battles.”

What do you think about Conoley tweeting the sharks not being the official mascot? “She flip-flopped on that one if you go through all this you [have to] stick to your guns.”

Sarah Graff first-year Journalism major.

What was your reaction to the whole mascot search? “I think it’s good to get new mascots that aren’t representative of something bad. Especially for a big university such as this [one].

What do you think about Conoley tweeting the sharks not being the official mascot? “It shows a lot of diversity with different things, with where we are and how far we expand. The sharks being about the beach and the dirtbags being about baseball.