Spill the Tea: What are students at CSULB’s favorite spots on campus?

Whether you are an incoming freshman, transfer student or just don’t know the campus well, our fellow Long Beach State peers are here to help with their personal recommendations of their favorite spots to decompress, hang out and study on campus.

Briana Hernandez examining the resources at Beach Balance.
Briana Hernandez examining the resources at Beach Balance. Photo credit: Sam Farfan

Brianna Hernandez, a third-year business finance major, stated that her “favorite location is the massage chairs at the USU third floor because it’s a perfect place to just sit back and unwind during a stressful week. It’s very easy to make a reservation. You could even be walking in the direction of the USU and then open up the app and see if anything’s available. You can reserve it right then, walk over there, and get a 20 minute massage on a chair. It’s just really nice.”

The massage chairs that are available at Beach Balance.
Massage chairs are available at Beach Balance. Photo credit: Sam Farfan

You can reserve a massage chair for free on the Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SWRC) Go app through the Beach Balance widget. The University Student Union (USU) hours of operation are Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Fridays from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Samantha Soto sitting on the lawn near the Vivian Engineering
Samantha Soto sitting on the lawn near the Vivian Engineering Center. Photo credit: Sam Farfan

Samantha Soto, a first-year environmental science and policy major, says that her favorite spot on campus “would be the surrounding areas around the Vivian Engineering Center. I think it’s a nice quiet location and usually doesn’t get too crowded so I could find some quiet areas to study.”

Scenic hangout area near The Outpost.
Scenic hangout area near The Outpost.

The Vivian Engineering Center is located east side of the lower campus next to the Outpost Grill.

Kaidence Stowers standing in front of the University Bookstore.
Kaidence Stowers standing in front of the University Bookstore. Photo credit: Sam Farfan

Kaidence Stowers, a second-year 3D animation major, said that his favorite spot on campus “would probably be the bookstore because it’s basically the center of the school and I’m still trying to learn to get used to the campus. I’m a second year but this is my first year on campus. Basically, it helps me to find where I’m at, so if I get lost, I can always go back there.”

The Bookstore offers merch from clothing to tech items.
The Bookstore offers merch from clothing to tech items. Photo credit: Sam Farfan

The University Bookstore is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Ariana Fahri studying at Shake Smart in the SRWC.
Ariana Fahri studying at Shake Smart in the SRWC. Photo credit: Sam Farfan

Ariana Fahri, a third-year biology major, stated that the Student Recreation and Wellness Center is her favorite spot for many reasons. “I love the SRWC because it’s a great place to work out, experiment with a bunch of fitness classes, swim, and study by the Shake Smart. After a long day of classes, I like to come here to unwind and do what I’m in the mood for,” she said.

Popular student workout spot on campus, the SRWC.
The SRWC is a popular student workout spot on campus. Photo credit: Sam Farfan

The two-story SWRC facility contains weights and cardio equipment, an indoor track, a three-court gym, racquetball courts, multiple activity rooms, rock climbing wall, swimming pool, smoothie shop, and so much more.

Jaclyn Nguyen posing in front of the bowling alley at the USU.
Jaclyn Nguyen posing in front of the bowling alley at the USU. Photo credit: Sam Farfan

Jaclyn Nguyen, a first-year undeclared student, said that her “favorite spot is the University Student Union because of all the different floors. The first floor has a movie theater, pool tables, a bowling alley and air hockey. It’s also a study spot too. Then there’s also food courts, like hey, if you’re hungry, you can go through it and then go back to your studying.”

Students playing billiards at the USU.
Students playing billiards at the USU. Photo credit: Sam Farfan

Students, faculty, and guests can access these facilities on the first and second floor of the USU. Rates for the entertainment options are posted on their website under “Games Center.”