Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor

What if an election were held and nobody turned out? That’s essentially what happened back in 2007, when the Student Recreation and Wellness Center was approved by just 6 percent of students. 94 percent of students didn’t vote at all.

On Feb. 25 and 26, students will be asked to approve a $99 million blank check to renovate the University Student Union. Yet, Associated Students Inc. fails to explain how they calculated the $165 per semester fee increase to students to pay for renovations and whatever else ASI has up its sleeve.

Thursday’s issue of the Daily 49er included an article (“USU referendum approaches”) that mentions a project cost of $99 million. In an email to me from ASI Communications Manager Lindsay San Miguel, she explained that the specific construction project would create 191,000 square feet for the USU and construction would cost approximately $90 million. That $9 million difference is significant. However, that is only the beginning of their numbers problem. The project website says that students would approve one of four different options only after this measure is approved. If students approve the least expensive improvement, will they still be charged $165 per semester?

Annual payments on a 30-year bond for $99 million would run $5.7 million per year. This measure would raise more than $12 million per year. How will ASI spend that other $6 million? That’s nearly $200 million above and beyond bond payments. And that, my friend, goes to the heart of the matter.

My family brought me to the USU when it first opened in 1971. Eating at the international court-dining plaza was a unique experience. The idea of students being able to choose from Mexican, Italian, pizza or burgers was a revolutionary food court idea at the time. Since that time, I have graduated with two separate degrees, both of my brothers and mother have received CSULB degrees and I have worked at CSULB for more than 30 years. I have a long connection with the campus. I only want the best for it now and its future.

What I find most offensive about the referendum process is that ASI is arguing for students to leave their legacy by approving a major upgrade without having to pay for it. Instead of charging $165 per semester immediately following approval, that fee increase would be deferred until after many of those approving the measure have graduated and moved on.

At least when California voters approve bond measures, they are likely to remain residents of the state and pay for those measures. The campaign makes it clear that voters won’t have to foot the bill, as though that is a great reason to support this expensive measure.

Other disingenuous aspects of the “It Starts With You” campaign include the following:

• “37,000 students, 600 maximum capacity”This is written on a wall outside of the USU ballrooms. Is ASI advocating the construction of a 37,000-seat capacity ballroom?
  • “3 laptops, 2 outlets” Improvements over the last few years include new laptop-charging outlets on the second-floor dining area and along the first-floor corridor with high-top tables and chairs. The campus also added electrical outlets in the new seating courtyard outside the recently renovated LA2, 3 and 4 buildings.
  • “400 student orgs, 30 cubicles”Do we really need 400 cubicles that might sit empty? Every time I have walked past the student organization office on the USU 3rd floor, most of those existing 30 cubicles are unoccupied. And yet, ASI suggests constructing 370 additional cubicles.

Most people like a shiny new building, and the USU desperately needs major infrastructure renovations to electrical, plumbing and air conditioning. Some of us recall a closure of the USU first floor a few years ago after a major pipe burst. ASI hasn’t explained the cost of needed repairs just to maintain existing facilities.

Please tell us, ASI, how would the additional millions of dollars per year be spent? Students should demand greater transparency and ethics from their leaders.  ASI should publish a complete and detailed report on their website, not just highlights or major findings. Before anyone can consider voting, ASI must explain how every penny would be allocated.