Student Choice Awards Winner

The Ultimate Disney Guide to Forgetting Your Ex

When your happily ever after doesn’t go as planned, it’s easy to lose yourself in sorrow. That’s why it’s important to keep your heart busy with things that bring you joy; like reading a book, going out with friends, or simply staying at home watching your favorite movies. But for the students of CSULB, the best thing you can do to forget your ex is to visit the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California.

When visiting Disneyland, all your issues disappear for the day. All the stress from school and work becomes less and less important as you are walking through the colorful lights of Main Street. Disneyland turns into the perfect distraction when dealing with a break-up, and the perfect excuse to treat yourself in the process.

“You can have a Disney trip and enjoy it without the need of having a significant other,” said Disney cast member Evelyn Valdez. “You get to disconnect for a couple hours, and you are most likely thinking about the next ride you want to go on, or what snack you want to get, not your ex.”

11/02/21- Anaheim, California. Variety of cookies at the Disneyland Candy Palace.
Anaheim, California. Variety of cookies at the Disneyland Candy Palace. Photo credit: Mariana Lopez

With hundreds of couples and families walking around the park and long attraction wait lines, all while dealing with a broken heart can be overwhelming.

Lucky for you, here is the ultimate guide on how to avoid that:

All you need is a little faith, trust, and great company!

That’s the ultimate key to turning a very unfortunate situation into an awesome experience is having great company. Go with your besties, take your mom or invite that one friend you’ve been wanting to hang out with for a while.

Nobody has time to think about their ex when they’re sharing the magic of Disneyland with the people who matter most to them.

“I was actually going through a breakup the first time I went to Disneyland,” senior CSULB student Riley Ohman said. “I had no motivation in going, but my sister and I already had tickets and I needed an escape from my problems. We ended up having a great time.”

10/28/21- Anaheim, California.
Disneyland has a variety of food to chose from. Photo credit: Mariana Lopez

Follow your heart and let it lead you to the nearest… corn dog stand?

One of the many things that makes Disneyland so special is its variety of good food and sweet treats. From enjoying a delicious Pym-ini Sandwich at the Pym Test Kitchen in California Adventures to ending the night with snickerdoodle cookies at the Candy Palace in Disneyland, there is no sadness that cannot be cured by the taste of good food.

“One of my favorite Disney snacks is the Spicy Dill Pickle,” said Ohman. “My ex hated pickles, and out of spite they became my favorite.”

Other Disney restaurants and quick snacks you should try out: Alien Pizza Planet, Bengal Barbecue, Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor, and the Little Red Wagon.

Restaurants to try at California Adventures: Award Wieners (DCAP), Cozy Cone Motel (DCAP), and the Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill (DCAP).

Play smarter, not harder: Make good use of the Disneyland App to avoid long wait lines!

We all know a lot can happen while waiting to get onto the next ride. You might get hungry, you might need to use the restroom, or you might even start overthinking the last conversation you had with your partner before the break-up.

By using the Disneyland App, you can do mobile food and beverage orders in advance, check wait times for rides and join virtual queues for the most popular attractions.

When nothing else seems to work… Bibbidi, Bobbidi, Booze!

For those of you who need some liquid courage to get a little goofy, you can enjoy a variety of alcoholic beverages throughout California Adventures and selected areas inside the Disneyland park.

Some of the favorites include handcrafted beers from Karl Strauss Biergarten at Pacific Wharf and refreshing margaritas from Rita’s Baja Blenders.

You can also find delicious cocktails inside Disneyland’s first bar, Oga’s Cantina at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, and a variety of wine and beer in the Blue Bayou Restaurant at New Orleans Square.

“I recommend the Espresso Cocktail sold at the Cozy Cone Motel,” said Valdez. “I am a coffee lover and this drink has the perfect combination of coffee and vodka.”

Other DCAP booze locations you should try out: Hollywood Lounge, Pym Tasting Lab, Bayside Brew, and Clarabelle’s Hand-Scooped Ice Cream.

Never look back, darling… It distracts you from the now.

Last but not least, the biggest tip you can get from this guide is to just be present! Stay away from your phone, and stop checking your notifications to see if your ex texted you.

“Too many times people go places or vacations after a breakup just to post on social media to make a point,” said Valdez. “You have to make your Disney experience yours and not about posting on social media.”

Connect with the people around you, and feel the magic that the Disneyland Parks have to offer. You’ll have such a great time, you’ll want to break up with your ex all over again…

Disneyland is located at 1313 Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802. When visiting a theme park, guests must have a valid ticket and park reservation. To find more information and updates about the Disneyland Resort, see here.