Women’s basketball team adds coach

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team will have a new face on the bench this season.  

Assistant coach Jackie Zink will join head coach Mary Hegarty’s staff and fill the vacancy left by Jason Flowers, who accepted an assistant job at UC Riverside.  

“I’m very excited about the opportunity to join Mary and her staff,” Zink said in a press release. “I’m ready to do my part for Long Beach State basketball, and help them reach the goals that Mary has set for the program.”  

Zink spent last season working under Hall of Fame head coach Tara VanDerveer with the Stanford Cardinal, who fell to Tennessee’s Lady Volunteers in the national championship game. Her other prior collegiate experience includes one season at San Francisco with the Dons.  

“We’re thrilled to welcome Jackie to the 49er basketball family,” Hegarty said. “She brings a wide variety of experience, having worked from the high school level to Division I.  “Spending last year on the bench as part of the Stanford program that played for the national championship was a unique opportunity, as was working with VanDerveer, one of the finest women’s basketball coaches in the country.

Her eagerness and enthusiasm to be a part of our program will add new energy and help us achieve our goals.”