LBSU improves to 3-0 with win over Missouri State

The Long Beach State Invitational ended with a bang as the 49ers’ women’s volleyball team closed out its third match with a 3-1 victory over the Missouri State Bears (23-25, 25-20, 25-19, 25-17) Saturday night at the Walter Pyramid.

With their victory, the ‘Niners improved their mark to 3-0 on the season.

LBSU started off slow but, with some defensive help from senior Iris Murray (27 digs) and junior Naomi Washington contributing a career-high six blocks along with 14 kills, the 49ers put the Bears away.

“It had nothing to do with me. It was my teammates,” Washington said of her strong performance. “When my teammates set up the block, I come and help. Our system is set up on that. I’m just a help and try to do what I can.”

The first set was less than stellar for the Beach. Five consecutive early points by Missouri State including a pair of aces by Terri Del Conte gave the Bears some momentum.

LBSU head coach Brian Gimmillaro called a timeout to try to stop the run, but miscommunication immediately after the break led one to believe that it was not going to stop.

Fortunately for the Beach they had Washington and junior Ya Chen Wang causing some things to happen around the net. Two blocks — one by each of the two middle blockers — and a pair of powerful jolts from the arm of senior Quincy Verdin created some life for LBSU.

The Bears managed to keep the ‘Niners down though, as Cara Hackmann had a couple of pivotal kills and a block to help her team close out the set with a victory.

Set two began with a couple of quick points by Missouri State, but the 49er’s kept at it and eventually took six of the next eight points — including two kills by Verdin that led to a Bears timeout.

MSU managed to keep it close though with the help of Bethany Fuller, as she blocked a couple of kill attempts.

Long Beach just poured it on too strong though, as Washington dumped the ball in between two players to finish the set.

“After the first set we changed some style and tried to make them move,” Gimmillaro said.

Washington appeared revved up from the prior set, as she had two key blocks to get the ‘Niners started in set three.

Sophomore Ashley Lee also contributed a pair of back-to-back aces, allowing the Beach to jump ahead, 7-2. MSU was never really in it and made some costly errors with a couple of lifts called, including one that ended the set.

The Bears did not want to quit, however, as they took five of the first seven points of set four.

LBSU fought right back scoring nine of the next 12. Wide shots, a serve into the net by the Bears and a blocked shot by Wang allowed the Beach to jump back in it and eventually take the lead before a timeout.

Immediately after the timeout, Wang continued on her tear with another blocked shot and a kill. Pretty soon it was Washington who began to feed off of the plays of Wang.

“I thought Ya Chen Wang did a nice job [helping us rebound],” Gimmillaro said.

Washington had four consecutive kills that put the game out of reach.

An assist by senior Nicole Vargas to freshmen Cat Highmark, followed a few plays later by a forceful spike by Caitlin Ledoux, ended the Bears’ chances of a comeback.

Vargas had another strong performance recording a double-double of 48 assists and 11 digs.

Gimmillaro felt good about Washington’s performance at the end.

“Naomi was great at the end, she blocked and hit,” he said. “Naomi has great hands. I told her when she has something open, hit it, otherwise tip it.”

The 49ers will begin a seven-match road trip — including three matches in three days in Florida — starting Thursday at Florida State at 4 p.m. PT.