Women’s soccer blanks BYU, 3-0

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team bounced back from Sunday’s 1-0 loss to UNLV in convincing fashion, as they shut out the Brigham Young Cougars, 3-0, Thursday afternoon at George Allen Field.

This was the 49ers’ fourth shutout of the year.

The Cougars were without senior midfielder Katie Larkin, who broke her wrist in a 1-0 loss to Marquette last Saturday, but BYU head coach Jennifer Rockwood said that Larkin’s absence was not a factor in the outcome of the contest.

“They [Long Beach State] just outplayed us in every aspect of the game,” Rockwood said.

BYU (3-4) won last year’s match-up, 1-0, but Rockwood said she could not fairly compare last year’s game to this year’s because “we were not playing at the level we were capable of.”

The 49ers (4-1-1) relentlessly attacked the Cougars’ defense, while keeping them in check — out-shooting BYU, 14-3. The Cougars were unable to get anything going, getting their first shot attempt late in the first half and its last two shot attempts in the second half when the outcome was decided.

“They were very quick, very comfortable off their feet,” Rockwood said. “Our forwards couldn’t make the passes.”

49er head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said in Sunday’s loss, it was a cleaner game defensively.

“We just have to keep growing, keep learning, keep growing from every game,” Ingrassia said.

The 49ers’ first goal came when Kristen Kiefer scored her fourth goal of the year at 26:40, with Lindsay Bullock and Tiffany Vaught assisting.

Vaught said that scoring the first goal is important because “you have the confidence and have control of the game.”

LBSU used that momentum as they tightened the defense, allowing BYU only one shot on goal the entire first half.

Bullock then scored her third goal of the year at 63:42 with Dana Farquhar assisting. Shawna Gordon added an insurance goal at 85:44 to seal the victory, once again with Farquhar assisting.

Vaught said that the fans give her motivation to do well.

“They give us energy. We want to put on a show for family, friends and supporters,” she said.

The 49ers will host the Oregon Ducks Sunday at noon on George Allen Field.