Men's Water Polo, Sports

Water polo’s 2-1 mark in tournament headlines Sports Picks

Men’s water polo

LBSU posts 2-1 mark over weekend

No. 8 Long Beach State (4-4) won a 15-11 shootout with No. 5 Pepperdine (5-3) in the second day of the NorCal Tournament on Sunday. Senior Jake Kinne powered the offense with four goals and Kevin vanHaaster chipped in three goals. The 49ers split a pair of matches against No. 9 UC San Diego and No. 1 California in the first day of the tournament on Saturday. The 49ers were led by a pair of hat tricks from vanHaaster and Jeff Greenwood in a 10-7 victory over the Tritons (9-2). The Golden Bears (6-0) jumped out to a 3-0 lead after one quarter and cruised past the ‘Niners, 8-4. LBSU goalkeeper Derek Weibe Bailey made 31 combined saves in the three games. The 49ers return to the pool when they visit Loyola Marymount at noon on Saturday.

Women’s soccer

49ers leave Utah with split

LBSU (5-2-2) scored three goals in the final 16 minutes to defeat Utah State, 3-0, in Logan, Utah on Sunday. Kim Silos found the back of the net in the 75th minute to put the ‘Niners on the board. Lindsay Bullock and Kristen Kiefer also scored for the 49ers. Freshman defender Lauren Porter provided the lone goal in the 72nd minute to lead the University of Utah past LBSU, 1-0, in Salt Lake City on Friday. The Utes limited the 49ers to just one shot attempt in the second half. The Beach will travel to play the University of Arizona on Friday and conclude the four-game road trip against Arizona State on Sunday.