Men's Golf, Sports

Hoey fires 74, in search of back-to-back tournament wins

Long Beach State senior All-American Kay Hoey breezed through the first 17 holes and was poised to finish the first day in second place on Monday.

Hoey slipped into a four-way tie for fifth after a double bogey on the final hole, finishing the day two shots behind the leader at 2-over-par 74 in the opening round of the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational in Sammamish, Wash.

Brigham Young’s Natalia Jimenez sits atop the leaderboard at even-par 72, one shot ahead of Oregon’s Monika Graf and Kendra Little and Stanford’s Rebecca Durham.

As a team, the 49ers are in seventh place at 28-over 316 and one shot behind sixth-place Idaho. Oregon leads the pack at 11-over 299, four shots ahead of Stanford.

Hoey, who won the Heather Farr Memorial last week, started the day on the back nine and recorded par on the first seven holes. She then sank a birdie on the par-5 18th hole to make up for a bogey on No. 17. On the front nine, Hoey recovered from a bogey on No. 4 to birdie No. 5, and maintain the lead, before the double bogey on the ninth hole to finish.

Freshman Lee Lopez (t-18th) finished the round at 5-over 77 for the 49ers. Five shots behind, junior Brenda Chhuor carded a 10-over 82 with sophomore Lindsey McAtee at 11-over for the day. Sophomore Reina Rogers posted a 19-over 91 to complete the scoring for LBSU.

Second round action continues tomorrow and the tournament concludes Wednesday.