Men's Track & Field, Sports

Track star has eyes on 2012 London Olympics

Ronald Carter III has always had people telling him that he would never make it in professional athletics, and saying to him that he was good but just not good enough.

Through all the doubts and the people saying “you can’t” or “you won’t,” Ronald Carter, or as friends would call him “RC,” has put a muzzle over the mouths of many non-believers.

In March of 2007 Carter realized that he would have a chance of going to the 2008 Olympic trials when he triple jumped his way to a qualifying mark. It wasn’t until May of 2008 until he reached the actual qualifying mark to move him to the trial.

“I was excited when I realized that I would be competing on a national level and even more excited to realize that I might have a chance at competing for my country in the 2008 Olympics,” says Carter.

Carter, a product of Junipero Serra High School and Long Beach State (2003-07), didn’t always take track seriously.

“I was asked my senior year in high school by the track coach to compete, so I tried the long jump, didn’t make it and went on to try the triple jump, and after three meets, I qualified for the California Interscholastic Federation Masters,” he said. “But when I found out it was the same day as my senior prom I decided to skip it and thought that would be the end of my track days.”

Luckily for LBSU it was not his last time competing in track and field.

Carter came to LBSU trying to become a walk-on for the men’s basketball team as well as track. Though very talented in basketball, jumping toward the basket wasn’t the type of jumping his career would lead to.

Carter says that self-motivation is what kept him inspired and being the best is what helped him work at his goals.

“When I first started, I wasn’t the best in the Big West Conference, so I was determined to conquer that, which I did,” he said. “Then, it became an obsession for the West region, and so I conquered that. Now I am hoping to conquer the national scene and then the world.”

Carter’s first attempt at the Olympics fell short as he failed to qualify at the trials. Fighting off injuries was a major issue in his unsuccessful attempt at a once in a life-time experience.

“I had been going through a few injuries but I competed in the trials because for some people it is a once in a life-time opportunity that you may never see again.”

Carter is now at the age 23, but when asked if he would be competing in the 2012 Olympics his answer was simple.

“Lord willing,” he said.

Carter gives credit to Long Beach State with helping him find a church home, which has kept him motivated and focused. He feels his focus is what will push him to the next level. That next level for Ronald Carter III, is conquering a future medal in the 2012 Olympics and joining the likes of Misty May-Treanor on the list of successful 49er Olympians.