Baseball, Sports

Hamels silences Rays’ bats in Game 1

With one swing of Chase Utley’s bat, the Philadelphia Phillies stole home-field advantage from the Tampa Bay Rays in Game 1 of the World Series on Wednesday night.

Utley’s two-run blast in the first inning was the difference, as the Phillies beat the Rays, 3-2, at Tropicana Field. Utley became the 34th player to hit a home run in his first Series at-bat.

“Obviously it feels pretty good,” Utley said about his performance. “Our goal was to try to score some runs early. Trying to take the crowd out of it early because they are intense, they are loud.”

Phillies ace Cole Hamels (4-0 this postseason) pitched seven solid innings, struck out five batters and allowed just two runs on five hits.

“This game — because every round you play a better and better team — you definitely have to be a little more focused,” Hamels said. “You can’t screw up as much. With being able to score runs early, it just helps my game out a little bit because it, I guess, lessens the pressure.”

Tampa Bay starter Scott Kazmir (1-1) lasted six innings and gave up three runs and four walks in a losing effort.

Former Dirtbag and Rays third baseman Evan Longoria went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts as the Rays offense struggled to get any momentum off Hamels.

The Rays’ 2-3-4 hitters, B.J. Upton, Carlos Pena and Longoria, went a combined 0-for-12 with five strikeouts.

The Phillies’ bullpen shut down Tampa Bay after Hamels left the game. Ryan Madson pitched a perfect eighth, setting up closer Brad Lidge to finish the task.

Game 1 winners of the Series have won 10 of the last 11 Series match-ups.

The Phillies came into the Series opener on six days rest, after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers in five games in the NL Championship Series. The supposed rust from the long layoff was a non-factor.

Rays manager Joe Maddon said, “The thing I noticed about [the Phillies] today, having seen them for the very first time, is they’re really fundamental. I thought they had some really good two-strike at-bats.”

Philadelphia was able to win despite going 0-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 11 base runners stranded.

Game 2 will be Thursday night with the Phillies’ Brett Myers facing off against Tampa Bay starter James Shields. The game will air on FOX, with the first pitch scheduled at 5:35 p.m.