Baseball, Sports

Howard powers Phillies to Game 4 victory

The Philadelphia Phillies crushed the Tampa Bays Rays, 10-2, to take a 3-1 lead in the World Series Sunday at Citizens Bank Park.

Eight of the 10 runs scored by Philadelphia were off home runs, which the Phillies led the National League in during the regular season.

The Phillies were led by first baseman Ryan Howard, who hit two home runs and had five RBIs, and starting pitcher Joe Blanton, who struck out seven batters and gave up two runs in six innings.

Blanton helped his cause by hitting a home run of his own in the fifth inning and Phillies right fielder Jayson Werth went deep with a two-run homer in the eighth to add to the attack. Blanton became the first pitcher to hit a home run in the Series since 1974.

“As far as the batting goes, I just close my eyes and swing hard in case I make contact,” Blanton said. “That’s really the only thing I can say.”

Meanwhile, the Rays’ No. 3 and 4 hitters, Carlos Pena and former Dirtbag Evan Longoria, are a combined 0-for-29 in the Series.

Rays’ starter Andy Sonnanstine was roughed up for five runs in four innings.

The Philadelphia bullpen closed the door on Tampa Bay, with Chad Durbin, Scott Eyre, Ryan Madson and J.C. Romero combining to shut out the Rays after Blanton left the game.

The Rays’ scored both their runs on solo home runs by left fielder Carl Crawford and right fielder Eric Hinske.

The Phillies will try to end the Series at home while the Rays’ will fight to send it back to Tropicana Field for a Game 6.

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel hopes Cole Hamels can continue his postseason dominance.

“Every time he goes out I think he’s going to win the game,” said Manuel. “He’s capable of shutting somebody out.”

Game 5 is Monday night with the Phillies sending Hamels to the mound to face Rays’ left hander Scott Kazmir in a rematch of the Game 1 starters.