Men's Golf, Sports

Women finish 7th in tournament

Freshman Lee Lopez dropped nine spots in the standings to finish in a four-way tie for 15th place at the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown on Wednesday.

Pepperdine’s Lisa McCloskey shot 17-under-par 199, including 5-under 67 in the final round, to narrowly win the individual title by one stroke.

Long Beach State finished in a three-way tie for seventh in the 18-team competition, along with Texas Christian and Texas Tech. Pepperdine won the team title by 12 shots over Oklahoma State, firing a combined 41-under 823 over the three days.

Lopez, who shot 3-over 75 in the final round, ended the tournament with a 4-under 212 score to pace LBSU at the Boulder Creek Golf Club.

Despite carding a tournament-best 8-under 64 in the opening round, Lopez made just three birdie putts over the final two rounds. The freshman played a bogey-free first round, but was plagued by seven bogeys the rest of the tournament — including four of the last five holes in the second round.

Reina Rogers and Erin Cylke both finished the final round under par for the 49ers. Rogers shot 1-under 71 to finish tied for 29th. Cylke carded a 2-under 70 score and finished tied for 76th.

The tournament was the final competition of the fall season for the women’s golf team. LBSU will return to the links in mid-February 2009 for the Aztec Spring Invitational in San Diego.