Three-peat: 49ers clinch third straight regular season title

SANTA BARBARA — The Long Beach State women’s soccer team was just one minute away from being tied atop the Big West Conference standings on Friday night.

Instead, the 49ers clinched their third consecutive regular season conference title with a 2-1 win in double overtime over second-place UC Santa Barbara at Harder Stadium.

Sophomore forward Kristen Kiefer stepped up big. With an assist from freshman Shawna Gordon, Kiefer powered the ball from seven yards out to tie the game at 1 and force overtime.

In the second period of overtime, with 3:42 left in the game, sophomore midfielder Lindsay Bullock then scored the game-winning goal off of Kim Silos’ corner kick.

Meanwhile, the 49ers were able to hold the Gauchos without a corner kick attempt for the entire game, out-shooting UCSB, 7-0.

With the win, LBSU secured the top seed and home-field advantage in the four-team Big West Tournament, which starts at 2 p.m. on Thursday at George Allen Field against the fourth-place team in the conference yet to be determined.

LBSU (13-4-3, 7-0-1 Big West) had to come from behind to earn the No. 1 seed.

In the 71st minute, UCSB’s Kailyn Kugler knocked a rebounded ball straight into the net for a 1-0 lead. Minutes later, a golden opportunity came for UCSB but 49er goalkeeper Liz Ramos made a spectacular save.

Also, senior Sara Baca set a school-record with her 79th consecutive career start.

Despite already clinching, the 49ers continued to shake up the Big West standings Sunday in San Luis Obispo.

LBSU defeated Cal Poly, 3-2, in the regular season finale. Kiefer, Hayley Bolt and Mariko Strickland accounted for the three 49er goals.

The Mustangs, who already clinched a spot in the tournament, entered the game in second place. The Gauchos were scheduled to host UC Irvine at 5 p.m. and a win would give UCSB the No. 2 seed.

Tracy McDannald contributed to this report.

Correction on my last post: Sunday.

Unknown Fan,

While I respect your opinion, I must counter your argument with this: the match against UCI was winnable. Given where we are in the standings, the high expectations for the program this year, and the implication of this and other matches against our main rivals down the 405 (this is a Black and Blue Rivalry Series game, and currently the Eaters have the surfboard), this should have been a clean 8-0 conference play record.

And with that being said (as well as the result today), the onus is now on Mauricio’s ladies to close the deal Saturday. And I play to be there

an unknown fan

jr salazar
    i have to disagree with you that the performance against uci was “inept”
    while they were unable to score, it doesnt mean it was “inept”
    please choose your words carefully when you make comments such as you have
    thank you

Go Beach~ trust in your seniors….

Greetings, noble Chewie.

Pending a check of the prices, I am going to pay up for Saturday. These ladies must prove to me that they want me out at the George Allen Field by showing up to twist the Tigers’ tails on Thursday.

Chewie Bandito

And will the great Superfan be attending? It would be a shame to not have the original Superfan in attendance at such an important game.

It could have been 8-0, had it not been for our inept performance against UC Irvine (of all sides). But now the one that matters takes center stage. The last few years under Mauricio, we have been upended in the semifinals, even when finishing first. The good thing is that we won’t be facing Cal Poly in the semifinals, and risk giving our seniors the unenviable honor of losing to the Mustangs three straight years in the semifinals.

However, the flip side is that we are facing a Pacific side that has the best opportunity possible to pull off the impossible, given our recent history in postseason play. This must be the year where our leadies officially shed their status as the bridesmaids of Big West women’s soccer. It begins this Thursday.

Fasten your seatbelts.