Men's Golf, Men's Volleyball, Sports

Sports Picks: Women’s volleyball garners third Big West Player of the Week honor

Women’s volleyball

Herzog becomes third ‘Niner to win Player of the Week award

Junior middle blocker Brittney Herzog was rewarded with the Big West Conference’s Player of the Week honor Monday.

Herzog helped lead first-place Long Beach State to a 3-0 record and recorded a career-high 16 kills on a .609 hitting percentage in a five-set win over second-place Cal Poly.

To start the week, Herzog hammered 11 kills on .579 hitting to go with seven blocks in a four-set win over CS Fullerton. She also tallied six kills and four blocks in a sweep over UC Santa Barbara.

Herzog joins Quincy Verdin and Caitlin Ledoux as the third 49er to earn the honor this season.

Men’s golf

49ers finish Day 1 in 11th place

LBSU carded a 2-over-par 290 score Monday to finish in 11th place after Day 1 of the the 8th annual Turtle Bay Intercollegiate at the Turtle Bay Resort in Kahuku, Oahu, Hawaii.

Hosted by the University of Hawaii, San Diego State leads the 19-team field with an 11-under 277 total, which is three shots better than second-place Texas and Texas-Arlington.

Junior Michael Drake leads all 49ers at 3-under 69 and sits in a tie for eighth place. Texas’ Adam Wennerstrom and SDSU’s Andrew Cooley are tied atop the leaderboard with a 6-under 66 total.

Other notable ‘Niners include junior Steve Gibson, who fired a 2-under 70 to end the round tied for 13th. Freshman Austin Love (t-45th) posted a 1-over 73 score, while freshman Kevin Lim (t-96th) shot a 6-over 78.

Impressive showing against UC Irvine in five tonight. Well done, as always. And with Cat Highmark taking over for Nicole Vargas as the setter, they won’t be missing a beat next season.