Men's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's Volleyball, Sports

Sports Picks: Cross country places in Top-15 at NCAA West Regional

Cross country

‘Niners produce Top-15 finishes at regional

The 49er women finished 11th, while the men’s team finished 15th at the NCAA West Regional in Palo Alto. Senior Sarah Apgar was LBSU’s top finisher for the women’s side, crossing the finish in 31st at a time of 20:56.72. She shed 18 seconds off her regional time from last season. Senior Carly Harris broke her previous regional best by a minute, clocking in at 21:03.55 to take 35th overall. Other notable 49er finishers were junior Missy Barclay (68th) who punched in a time of 21:40.26 and senior Kristina Wilson (74th) with a time of 21:48.70. The University of Washington captured the overall team title.

On the men’s side, the 49ers were paced by sophomore Travis Kuhlman, who placed 60th with a time of 30:56.92. Kuhlman dropped 47 seconds off his previous regional finish. Competing in their first-ever regional meet, freshmen Raul Arcos (31:49.77) and Brett Hasvold (31:58.24) finished 90th and 97th respectively. The University of Oregon took first in the team standings.

Women’s volleyball

High school standout signs with The Beach

Long Beach State announced that Sarah Clause, a senior from Gilbert, Ariz., has signed a letter of intent to suit up for the 49ers in 2009. Clause is an outside hitter for Gilbert HS and has helped the Tigers maintain their position as one of the elite volleyball programs in the state of Arizona. So far this season, Clause has tallied 348 kills on .457 hitting, along with 276 digs. She had 495 kills her junior season. Clause is expected to join an established core that includes Naomi Washington, Brittney Herzog, Caitlin Ledoux, Ashley Lee and Cat Highmark next season.

Men’s golf

LBSU inks three highly-touted recruits

Head coach Bill Poutre announced the signing of three recruits for the 2009-10 season. Phillip Chian, Benjamin Lein and Raymond Ho are expected to join a 49er team returning its top seven players. Ho, a Cerritos HS graduate, is the No. 4-ranked recruit in California and No. 56 in the world, according to a ranking compiled by juniorgolfscoreboard.com. Ho is a former Suburban League Most Valuable Player and was named to the Press-Telegram Dream Team in 2007. Chian is the No.9-ranked recruit in California and is the reigning three-time MVP of the Miramonte League, heading into his senior year. Lein, a Los Altos HS senior, is the No. 16 recruit in the state.