Men's Volleyball, Sports

Women’s volleyball captures Big West title in Fullerton

FULLERTON — The 23rd-ranked Long Beach State women’s volleyball team clinched the Big West Conference title, and with it, a berth into the NCAA Tournament on Saturday night.

The 49ers won in three sets, 25-16, 25-22, 26-24, over the CS Fullerton Titans on their Senior Night.

Caitlin Ledoux and Quincy Verdin finished with 13 kills apiece to lead LBSU. Naomi Washington added six, while Nicole Vargas and Brittney Herzog tallied five kills each. Vargas also finished with 35 assists.

Both teams traded side-outs in a see-saw first set as neither team was able to mount any sort of run early on.

The ‘Niners (24-5, 13-3 Big West) were able to make separate 4-0 and 5-0 runs near the later parts of the first set to widen the gap, 24-14. CSF’ Brittany Moore, who had six kills in the first set, had back-to-back kills to save set point before a Fullerton service error gave the ‘Niners the first set victory, 25-16.

In a much more competitive second set, the Titans (16-15, 9-7 Big West) were able to mount a 4-0 run to tie the set at 5 and subsequently take its first lead of the match, 6-5.

The ‘Niners, however, were able to regain control of the second set and hold on to win, 25-22, on a Ledoux kill. There were a total of 28 ties and 12 lead changes in the match.

LBSU had to come from behind to win the third set, 26-24.

The 49ers used a 3-0 run to take a 22-21 lead late in the set. However, a net violation gave the Titans a 23-22 lead. Ledoux’s kill then tied the match at 23 and she was responsible for three of Long Beach’s final four points.

After an Iris Murray ace gave Long Beach match point, Ledoux ended the match with her 13th kill.

Moore took the crowd’s energy and enthusiasm and finished the match as the kills leader with 19. Erin Saddler added 11 and Alex Wolnisty added eight for the Titans.

The ‘Niners play their season finale next Saturday against No. 15 Colorado State in non-conference match at the Walter Pyramid at 7 p.m. Verdin, Vargas and Murray will be honored prior to the match on their Senior Night.

Coach Gimmilarro told them they weren’t out of the woods yet, his players listened, and they delivered.
    Nuff said. Have fun against Colorado State, girls. It’s good to have a little dress rehearsal before the Big Show every now and then.

As always, Go Beach.