Sports, Women's Basketball

Portland State deals ‘Niners ‘unacceptable’ 71-56 loss

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team couldn’t put a stop to the shooting barrage of Portland State as they fell, 71-56, Monday night at the Walter Pyramid.

The Vikings (4-1) shot an impressive 60 percent from long range, going 9-of-15 on the night. PSU also shot 54.9 percent from the field to just 37.5 percent for LBSU (1-3). PSU outperformed the 49ers in most statistical areas including rebounding, 36-28, and assists, 16-7.

Most of the 3-pointers shot by the Vikings were uncontested as the LBSU defense was flat for most of the game. Head coach Mary Hegarty was not happy with the effort on the defensive end.

“We haven’t come out and play with any sort of emotion, which is what you need to play great defense,” she said. “If they can’t come up with the emotion, I’m going to find a way to get it out of them because this was unacceptable.”

Poor decisions and missed shots plagued the 49ers in the game, which saw both teams combine for 47 turnovers.

PSU led wire to wire after a bad start put LBSU down nine points in just the first few minutes of the game. The Vikings shot the lights out from the field, going 18-of-27 in the first half including converting on 7-of-10 shots from beyond the arc.

“The poor starts need to be fixed … I’m done with those poor starts,” Hegarty said.

Although the ‘Niners were able to cut the lead to five points, an 18-2 run in the middle of the first half put a halt to any comeback for The Beach. They would never get any closer than 13 points the rest of the way.

Junior forward Whitney Fields scored in double figures for the fourth straight game with 13 points, and she pulled in five rebounds to go along with two blocks. But, Fields still wants more.

“I know I need to step it up,” said Fields.

Junior guard Courtney Jacob, who was named co-Big West Conference Player of the Week earlier in the day, struggled from the field but was still able to get 12 points and seven rebounds. Adelle Walton filled in for the injured LaTorya Barbee nicely with 10 points and led the team with 36 minutes played.

The ‘Niners will now go on a four-game road trip spanning nine days starting Friday at Washington State. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

Ohhh yes, Proud Mary, keep on rollin’. Suicides, sprints, game film, repeating the same plays over and over again, more game film…I think a lot of folks here know where this is going.

I can tell she’s fighting for her life to stay here as the coach. Great to see.