Sports, Women's Basketball

49ers dropped by 32 at Nebraska

A slow start plagued the Long Beach State women’s basketball team Friday night as it dropped a 76-44 decision to Nebraska at Bob Devaney Sports Center in Lincoln, Neb.

Whitney Fields scored a team-high 12 points, with 10 coming in the second half, to pace the 49ers. Lindsey Beckner, meanwhile, pulled down a career-high 13 rebounds.

Lauren Sims chipped in seven points for the 49ers, while Lynea Williams added six. Junior guard Courtney Jacob, who entered the game as the team’s leading scorer, was held scoreless on 0-of-9 shooting.

The Huskers (8-2) jumped out to a quick 7-0 lead before Williams got The Beach on the board with a fast break layup at the 17:42 mark. Nebraska then went up by double digits with 15:04 on the clock and never looked back, taking its largest advantage at 45-16 heading into the break.

The 16 first-half points were a season-low for the 49ers, who shot just 22.9 percent from the field in the half. The Huskers, meanwhile, posted a 59.4 field goal percentage and had three players in double figures at the break.

LBSU (2-5) shot 30 percent (21-of-70) from the field and was just 1-of-17 from 3-point range in the contest.

The Huskers were led by Yvonne Turner who finished the evening with a game-high 19 points.

LBSU will return to action when it closes out a four-game road swing at Arizona on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Injury report

Junior forward Sahfiya Brown found out Wednesday that she will miss the rest of the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in her right knee.

On their way back, sophomore guard LaTorya Barbee and senior Karina Figueroa could return to action in a few weeks.

Barbee, who’s been sidelined the past six games following surgery on her right foot, is about three weeks from returning, the Long Beach Press-Telegram reported Thursday.

Figueroa, who has yet to play this season, is rehabilitating her surgically repaired right foot but was cleared to participate in contact drills in practice.