Sports, Women's Basketball

Losses, season-ending injuries mount for LBSU women

Head coach Mary Hegarty may have lost more than the Big West Conference opener Friday night.

Long Beach State was routed, 66-48, by host UC Santa Barbara at The Thunderdome.

Junior transfer Whitney Fields notched her third double-double of the season with 11 points and 10 rebounds, in addition to four steals, to pace the ‘Niners (3-9, 0-1 Big West). Junior guard Lauren Sims added 10 points and was the only other 49er to finish in double figures.

Gauchos guard Lauren Pederson scored 16 points and grabbed six rebounds to lead UCSB (5-6, 1-0 Big West) to victory. Off the bench, Sha’Rae Gibbons chipped in 14 points on 6-of-8 shooting, including 2-of-3 from the 3-point line.

As a team, the Gauchos shot 42.1 percent (24-of-57) from the field, including 50 percent (12-of-24) in the second half. LBSU was held to just 31.7 percent (20-of-63) shooting.

Junior Courtney Jacob hit a 3-pointer with 18:59 remaining to bring the 49ers to within eight but would get no closer, as UCSB surged ahead and led by as many as 21.

LBSU will travel to play Cal Poly in a Big West match-up on Sunday at 4 p.m.

Barbee, Figueroa likely out for the season

On Thursday, Hegarty told the Long Beach Press-Telegram that the 49ers may have lost both LaTorya Barbee and Karina Figueroa to foot injuries for the rest of the season. Barbee and Figueroa are eligible for a medical redshirt.

On Dec. 11, Hegarty was optimistic both would return within weeks as Barbee, a sophomore who underwent surgery on her right foot in early December, was progressing through rehabilitation. Meanwhile, Figueroa, a senior and the team’s leader, was cleared to participate in contact drills in practice.

However, Barbee, who has appeared in just one game this season, went to the doctor Dec. 22 and found out the fracture wasn’t healing.

“It’s looking more and more like she won’t be back this year,” Hegarty said.

Figueroa, who has yet to play this season, had to take days off between practice, and Hegarty said her foot isn’t responding and may have to miss the season entirely.

“She is probably only about 75 to 80 percent right now,” the coach added.

LBSU has already lost junior forward Sahfiya Brown for the rest of the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in her right knee.

“Things happen and, unfortunately, it is three significant players out,” Hegarty said. “We just have to find a way to adjust.”

With the way things are going, the biggest defeat for this team would be Hegarty remaining as the coach after this season. The odds are stacked against her and her staff staying on board.