Men's Volleyball, Sports

Report: Women’s volleyball finds coaching replacements

Next fall, some old faces will be in new places for the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team.

Volunteer Matt Ulmer reportedly will move into a full-time position and former 49er standout Erika Chidester will be added to the coaching staff, the Long Beach Press-Telegram reported late Monday night.

Ulmer and Chidester will replace ex-49er Melissa Ohta, who moved to Arizona for personal reasons after three years as an assistant, and Hall of Famer Debbie Green, who retired after 23 years on the staff.

Chidester is a former All-West Region and All-Big West Conference selection as a senior in 2005. Her previous assistant coaching experience includes a one-year stint at Lakewood High School and a two-year stay at the University of La Verne.

Head coach Brian Gimmillaro was unable to comment on the coaching moves until they are made official today.

Aside from departing seniors Quincy Verdin, Nicole Vargas and Iris Murray, the roster will take a hit as well when spring workouts begin this week.

Vargas, the starting setter the last four seasons, was expected to be replaced by Cat Highmark, who spent time at outside hitter in her freshman season. However, Highmark left LBSU after the fall season and is currently enrolled at Arizona State. She is not expected to play volleyball for the Sun Devils.

“It was just to go back home,” Gimmillaro said. “She’s a great kid, I loved coaching her.”

Highmark appeared in 27 of the team’s 32 matches and collected 136 kills to go with 105 digs in 84 sets played.

A Phoenix-area native, Highmark will be replaced at setter by sophomore Ashley Lee, who has been an outside hitter her first two seasons. Lee is rehabilitating from a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in her right knee suffered Nov. 4.

“Ashley is very good and will do anything you ask her to do,” Gimmillaro said. “The best thing she does is set and now she has the opportunity to do that.”

The ‘Niners will also bring in Megan Johnson, who was a freshman setter at the University of Wyoming last season and is a local product from Lakewood HS.

azvballmom

“She is not expected to play volleyball for the Sun Devils”…are you sure? Cat and Sarah Reaves were just featured on the Sun Devils volleyball web site…triumphing their return from the USA national team tryouts. “Included in those 160 athletes were ASU’s own Sarah Reaves and Cat Highmark …” All of AZ is buzzing “Cat’s back”… WIll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

It’s sad tp see Cat leave the Beach. She was implemental in our campaign last year. And Debbie Green, the Beach will miss you, but the Beach will always be here for you.

Change is everywhere. Nuff said.