Men's Track & Field, Sports

Junior places first in women’s high jump

The Long Beach State track and field team wrapped up a successful second day at the Mountain T’s Invitational Saturday afternoon at Northern Arizona’s LJ Walkup Skydome.

Junior Tayler O’Connor led the women with a first-place finish in the high jump as she cleared 5-05.75.

Senior Miia Mobley had a strong showing in the triple jump as she was the top collegiate finisher, and second overall, with a school-record 39-08.00. Classmate Tiana Johnson was not far behind in third with a personal-best of 37-07.25.

In the long jump, sophomore Phylicia Johnson was the top 49er finisher with a third-place showing. Johnson established the second-best mark in school history at 18-08.50. She also ran a personal indoor record 8.77aa in the preliminaries of the 60-meter hurdles.

Senior Jennifer Onyeagbako added a pair of top-5 finishes on the day, placing third in the weight throw invitational (58-01.25) and fourth in the shot put with an indoor best of 44-09.00.

Over in the pole vault, senior Katie Crowe recorded a lifetime-best 10-11.75, which also ranks 10th all-time at Long Beach State.

On the men’s side, the 49ers took the top two spots in the 60-meter hurdles with sophomore Nimrod Piggee finishing ahead of the pack in 8.36 seconds. That mark puts him in a tie for fifth on the 49er all-time top-10 list. Senior Collin Cram was second with a time of 8.56. In the preliminaries, sophomore Christopher Lawson ran the fastest time of the day at 8.25, but was unable to compete in the finals.

Long Beach State also had a 1-2 finish in the triple jump as senior Rodney Hawkins won the event with a leap of 47-09.00. Freshman Michael Vaughan came in second at 47-02.25, while Cameron Gillett was fourth (44.06.25).

Cram (23-00.00) and Gillett (22-09.25) also finished third and fourth, respectively, in the long jump. Junior Alex Black, meanwhile, was the top collegiate finisher in the high jump, clearing 6-08.00.

Senior Austin Fowler rounded out the successful day for the 49ers, finishing third in the 200-meter dash (21.78) and fifth in the 60-meter (6.85aa).

In Day 1, freshman Destanie Yarbrough took home a first-place finish in the weight throw open in her collegiate debut. The Fresno, Calif., native recorded a mark of 45-06.25 to finish ahead of the pack.

Senior Katie Black was the 49ers’ top finisher in the long jump open as she placed sixth with a personal indoor best of 17-07.00. O’Connor was not far behind at 17-01.25, which was good enough for eighth place. Senior Tiana Johnson had an 11th-place showing with a leap of 16-08.00, while freshmen Rebecca Hamilton (15-11.50) and Stephanie Glick (15-10.25) rounded out the group at No. 18 and 19, respectively.

Long Beach State will be back in action for the NAU Team Competition next Saturday, Feb. 7, when the 49ers return to Flagstaff, Ariz.