Men's Track & Field, Sports

Senior races to NCAA qualifying mark

Senior Brent Gray highlighted the second and final day of the Washington Invitational for the Long Beach State track and field team Saturday afternoon.

Gray posted an NCAA provisional qualifying mark in the 200-meter dash at Dempsey Indoor.

He opened the meet for the 49ers with a solid performance in the 60-meter dash, as he finished first in Heat 1 of the preliminaries with a time of 6.89 seconds. In the finals, Gray placed fourth with a time of 6.85.

Later in the afternoon, the Carson, Calif., native won the 200-meter dash with his NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 21.20.

In other men’s action, junior Alex Freitas ran a personal best and the second-fastest indoor time in school history in the mile at 4 minutes, 11.93 seconds. Freitas was the 49ers’ top finisher in the event and was followed by freshmen Raul Arcos (4:15.17) and Matt Maldonado (4:18.48), who also etched their names in the LBSU record books with their times ranking third and seventh on the charts, respectively.

For the women, senior Carly Harris set an indoor school record in the 3000-meter run with a mark of 9:47.25, while classmate Sarah Apgar was close behind at 9:47.27.

In Day 1, senior Kristina Wilson kicked off the first session with a 13th-place finish in the 5000-meter run as she recorded a personal indoor-best time of 17:34.33.

The women’s distance medley relay squad of Harris, Apgar, Ejiro Okoro and Missy Barclay and Apgar clocked in with the second-best indoor mark in school history at 12:09.59. The men’s quartet of Gray, Maldonado, Freitas and Arcos also had a strong showing, finishing the race in 10:03.68 to rank second on the 49er all-time top-10 list.