Men's Track & Field, Sports

Coach: Sprinter ‘among very best’ in LBSU history

Brent Gray — catch that name or did it run by too fast?

A senior sprinter, Gray has so much speed that he just might be fast enough to run in the 2012 Olympics.

Last spring, Gray competed in the outdoor NCAA Championships with 2008 Beijing Olympic medalists’ Walter Dix and Richard Thompson.

“It lets me know that I’m close, but not that close,” Gray said. “I just have to keep working hard.

“I don’t really think about the Olympics, I just try to improve every day.”

Gray knows qualifying for the Olympics is not going to be easy.

“It’s going to take a lot of sweat, tears, time, dedication and just me doing it and wanting to get there,” Gray added.

Working hard is exactly what Gray has been doing in the two years he has attended Long Beach State. In 2008, Gray became the first athlete since 1993 to win back-to-back Big West Conference Player of Year awards. He has also broken six school records.

With a résumé like that, one would think that Gray had dreamed of becoming a track star since his childhood. In reality, he hoped to be a professional football player but during his senior year in high school, his plans changed.

“I first started running track just to get speed,” Gray said. “But once I broke my collarbone in football, track was all I had left.”

In fall 2004, Gray enrolled at Long Beach City College because his uncle, Long Beach State Hall of Fame sprinter Jim Richardson, was the track coach. After several accomplishments at LBCC, Gray wanted to follow behind his uncle’s footsteps and attend LBSU.

In his first year as a 49er, Gray won the 100-, 200- and 4×400-meter relay conference championships and also became an All-American in the 200.

Gray’s hard work ethic continued to improve in 2008. He was awarded All-Big West after he won four different events at the Big West Championships.

For the 2009 season, Gray has set goals to win the indoor and 200 NCAA title. He also looks forward to graduating this May with a communications degree. After he graduates, Gray plans to work on signing a contract running professional track.

“Brent definitely has the ability, drive and desire to compete in the Olympics,” sprinters coach Jessica Branker said. “He’s amazing to watch.”

Andy Sythe, head coach of track and field, believes Gray might end up being the most well-known track athlete to attend LBSU when his career is over.

“He’ll be among the very best,” Sythe said.

This weekend, Gray, along with teammate Austin Fowler, will challenge the school record in the 200 at the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Indoor Championships.

awsome article keep em coming

Ashley Bruno

Great Article Isis… Very well written.