Sports, Women's Basketball

49er women receive 3 conference honors

Click here for a complete list of honorees

In a season plagued by injuries and capped without a postseason berth, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team still took home three individual honors.

Juniors Whitney Fields and Lauren Sims were joined by freshman Adelle Walton as Big West Conference selections Monday morning.

Fields was selected second-team All-Big West by conference coaches after averaging a team-high 12.6 points, 8.7 rebounds — including a conference-leading 9.3 in league games — and 1.7 steals per game. The forward from Miami, Fla. scored in double figures 18 times, including a career-high 30 against Loyola Marymount. Of her 10 double-doubles, eight were notched in Big West play.

Sims was named an honorable mention selection and ranked 14th in the Big West with 11.3 PPG. From Feb. 5-14, the guard had a streak of four consecutive game with at least 20 points and was named Big West Player of the Week in that span.

Walton earned a spot on the All-Freshman team and started in all but three of the 24 games she appeared in. The point guard led the 49ers with 71 total assists and was the fifth-leading scorer at 7.6 PPG. She recorded a career-high 16 points twice and a personal-best eight assists on three occasions.

UC Riverside’s Kemie Nkele was named Player of the Year, UC Santa Barbara head coach Lindsay Gottlieb was honored as Coach of the Year and UC Davis’ Lauren Juric took home Freshman of the Year honors.