Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags’ bats tee off on Toreros

The Dirtbags seem to have the ability to explode offensively at any time.

And that is just what they did, defeating the University of San Diego Toreros, 17-3, Tuesday night in front of 1,094 at Blair Field.

Long Beach State (4-7) had an equal total of hits and runs (17) on the evening and a forced USD to use seven total pitchers.

Kellen Hoime, Tre Dennis and Jonathan Jones had three hits apiece to pace the Dirtbags.
Hoime went 3-for-4 with an RBI while Jones went 3-for-5 with two RBIs.

After a slow start to the season, Dennis (3-for-4) may have found his swing, registering two doubles and a home run.

After returning home from South Carolina on Monday after a three-game road trip, it can be hard for teams to maintain focus. But Dirtbags head coach Mike Weathers made sure his team was prepared to face the Toreros (8-7).

“I think [our offense carried over]. I think they would’ve seen how we’re improving,” Weathers said. “We weren’t the same club we were when we played Cal. We grew a lot over the weekend in South Carolina.”

The Dirtbags broke the game open in the third by scoring six runs, batting around the order and adding to their three-run lead.

Right fielder Matt Avery set the tone for the inning after he smashed a bases-clearing double to left-center field off Torero reliever Chris Jensen.

The Nos. 5 and 6 hitters, Steve Tinoco and Rylan Sandoval, each reached base via singles while Taylor Krick received a free pass after getting hit by a pitch.

The Dirtbags tacked on a couple more after an error and a fielder’s choice.

With the game in control, Dirtbags starting pitcher Jeff Lease (1-0) coasted to the victory. He went five strong innings, allowing one run and four hits while striking out six.

“He started off a little shaky, but we’ve got to find a Tuesday guy,” Weathers said. “It was a good night for him. He’s got himself back in the [starting pitcher] mix.”

Down one in the second, LBSU scored four runs and three came with two outs.

Toreros starting pitcher Scott DeNault (2-1) was pulled in the inning. He went just 1 2/3 innings with one earned run — four total runs — and one strikeout.

Dennis busted the lead open for the Dirtbags, roping his second double of the game to right field, scoring two.

“It was a huge win for us,” Dennis said. “I think [our trip] to South Carolina really helped us out. We got to find a lot out about each other. Whatever energy we had there, we brought it here.”

Krick’s sacrifice fly first got LBSU on the board. Tinoco continued his hot streak, leading off with a triple.

USD got their first run on the board in the first inning after an RBI single to left by designated hitter Steven Chatwood.

Leadoff batter Kevin Muno, who reached base after launching a leadoff double down the left field line, came around to score.

With the game already out of hand in the fourth, the Dirtbags added three more runs including a solo homerun by Krick.

The Toreros tacked on two runs in the ninth to cap the scoring.

The Dirtbags are back in action for a three-game set on Friday when they take on Washington State.

The probable Friday starter for LBSU will be sophomore Jake Thompson while WSU’s probable is senior Matt Way. The first pitch is at 6:30 p.m.

MUNCHIES MAN

I GUESS SAN DIEGO HAD DA MUNCHIES. DID ANYONE OFFER THEM A BIG BAG OF SALTY NUT?