Softball, Sports

Beach softball completes series sweep

After running off 11 straight wins coming into the 49er Softball Complex, Cal State Northridge will head back up the 405 with three games in the loss column.

Long Beach State (24-14, 5-1 Big West Conference) defeated CSUN, 6-1, to complete the series sweep at home on Sunday.

Sophomore Brooke Turner (13-7) went the distance to pick up the win. The right-hander struck out five, walked three and allowed one run on three hits.

The 49er bats erupted for six runs in the second inning to give LBSU a lead it never relinquished.

Designated player Brandy Reyes was hit by a pitch to start the inning before first baseman
Jonae Perez lifted a double over the shoulders of CSUN left fielder Lauren Olivas to move her to third.

On the next at-bat, center fielder Bridgette Pagano lined a two-run double to center to score both runners.

“Bridgette did a great job to get her pitch and hit a shot to score those two runs,” Sowder said.

Pagano scored in the next at-bat on a fielder’s choice before right fielder Danielle Linke produced LBSU’s fourth run of the inning with an RBI single.

Linke batted 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored to pace the ‘Niner offense.

LBSU finished the inning up, 6-0, after adding two more runs off an error that came on a hard-hit ball to third from catcher Kristen Pocock.

Turner’s toughest inning came in the third when CSUN (23-12, 3-3 Big West) had the bases loaded with nobody out.

Perez got a force out on Matador shortstop Karla Chaparro at the plate before designated player Christina Saenz reached on a fielder’s choice, allowing Jaclyn Rymer to score the Matadors’ only run.

Turner struck out second baseman Micah Putnam to end the threat.

“Brooke did a nice job,” Sowder said. “She’s pitching well right now.”

CSUN starter Deborah Duran (16-8) picked up the loss after having pitched all three games in the series.

The ‘Niners travel up the coast to face Cal Poly in a three-game series that begins with a doubleheader Friday at noon. Sowder said the sweep gives the 49ers momentum going into the series.

“Every team in the conference can beat each other,” Sowder said. “We can’t walk in and take things for granted, going into Cal Poly, who’s tough at home.”