Men's Golf, Sports

‘Niners earn conference accolades in tennis, golf

Hannah Grady capped off her Big West Conference tennis career by becoming the first four-time Player of the Year award recipient in conference history.

Grady went undefeated in singles action during conference play at 11-0 this season, helping guide the 49ers to their sixth straight conference crown. She compiled a 43-1 record in Big West singles matches through her four-year career at The Beach.

“I’m extremely excited the coaches voted for Hannah four years in a row,” head coach Jenny Hilt-Costello said. “I’m thrilled for her. I think [her 43-1 record] will stand for a while.”

The senior from Coventry, England was also named to the All-Big West singles first-team and captured first-team doubles honors with partner Jessica Weeks.

Hilt-Costello racked up a record sixth conference Coach of the Year award after leading the team to a Top-50 national ranking and 18-7 overall record this season. Hilt-Costello’s team has amassed a 29-1 conference record over the last four years.

“Every year is different, even if you only add one new player,” she said about the challenges from year to year. “[This year], Jessica Weeks had a hip injury so she could only play doubles, we had another player [Stephanie Jeanes] who quit the team to go back home [to Australia].

“It was just a matter of working hard to keep the team atmosphere positive.”

She added the team also had to work just to stay healthy with only six singles players available for the entire season.

Sophomore Deborah Armstrong was named to the conference second-team in singles and was also tabbed a second-team All-Big West doubles selection with partner Lisa Sutton.

Freshman Rachel Manasse received second-team recognition in singles, while classmate Anais Dallara earned honorable mention in singles.

Sports editor Tracy McDannald contributed to this report.

Men’s golf produces Co-Freshman of the Year, second-team selection

LBSU’s Michael Drake was named to the All-Big West Conference second-team after leading the ‘Niners to a fifth-place finish at the Big West Championships. Drake placed seventh overall on the individual leaderboard with a tournament score of 1-under 215.

Kevin Lim was named Co-Freshman of the Year in the Big West, following a 16th place individual finish in the conference championship.

Lim fired a three-round score of 4-over 220 at the San Luis Obispo Country Club to produce the second best 49er finish at the tournament. He shared the award with UC Irvine’s Roberti Franciani.