Softball, Sports

Weber produces 6 hits in 49ers’ doubleheader sweep

Game 1 box score

Game 2 box score

One can always expect a Long Beach State-Cal State Fullerton game to be an emotional, back-and-forth struggle and Saturday’s doubleheader at the 49er Softball Complex was just that.

LBSU (29-17, 10-4 Big West Conference) downed the Titans in both games to move into a two-way tie for second in the Big West. The wins also halted the Fullerton (22-19, 10-4 Big West) win streak at seven.

The ‘Niners came from behind twice to win Game 2, 6-4, thanks to a sixth-inning rally punctuated by a Jennifer Griffin three-run double with two out.

The senior third baseman had her chance with the bases loaded after Ashley Weber singled to advance Jennifer Madigan to third and Brianna Goad to second. Weber went 3-for-4 with two RBIs in Game 2, wrapping up her day with a 6-for-7 performance.

“That’s what’s fun about hitting between Linke and Griffin,” Weber said. “They’re such great hitters. I know that if I don’t get it done, then [Griffin] will.”

Griffin came up clutch once again.

With a 1-0 count, the Whittier-native emptied the bases with a double to the center-field gap to give LBSU a 6-3 lead. She collected two hits on five at-bats in the two-game set.

“I struggled all day, but I relaxed a lot more on [that at-bat] knowing that if I have a calm mindset, something good’s going to happen,” Griffin said.

Taylor Petty (12-4) earned the win after tossing 6 2/3 innings, allowing four runs on seven hits. The freshman tallied eight strikeouts, but gave up two home runs on the afternoon.

The first came in the second inning on a Francesca Gonzalez solo shot over the right field wall to give CSUF a 1-0 lead. The second came in the top of the sixth on a Courtney Martinez two-run blast to put the Titans up 3-2.

“[Petty] came back strong after that,” head coach Kim Sowder said. “She’s not going to be perfect so give Fullerton credit for taking advantage.”

Sophomore Brooke Turner posted the final out for her first save of the season. Turner hurled a wild pitch to move Sammie Dabbs to third before walking Gonzalez, but got Lauren Lupinetti to pop out in foul territory to end the game.

Krystal Heinle (7-7) pitched in the loss for CSUF, striking out three, walking six and allowing six runs — two earned — on seven hits.

The 49ers tied the game 3-3 in the sixth on a Bridgette Pagano sacrifice-RBI that scored Casey Burba.

The first of three lead-changes came in the fifth when Weber knocked a two-run double down the right field line to give LBSU a 2-1 advantage.

“It’s a great rivalry, but we still stick to the same game plan,” Weber said. “We still have to play Beach softball and that’s what we did today.”

Turner snaps Titans’ seven-game win streak

Turner (16-9) went the distance in Game 1 as the 49ers squeezed out a 3-2 win over the Titans. The sophomore All-American fanned seven batters, walked one and allowed two runs on six hits.

LBSU manufactured the game-winner in the bottom of the seventh with the game tied 2-2. Right fielder Danielle Linke kicked off the inning with a double and moved to third on a Weber single.

Griffin drew an intentional walk to load the bases and two batters later, CSUF right-hander Ari Cervantes (15-10) walked Jonae Perez with the bases loaded, allowing Weber to score the winning run.

Perez had a hit and two RBIs, while Weber went 3-for-3 with two runs in Game 1.

“[Weber’s] one of the most important players on our team,” Griffin said. “She’s doing an awesome job of moving people over and she made great contact today.”

The game got testy in the fourth when CSUF head coach Michelle Gromacki was tossed for arguing what she thought was an uncalled balk with the umpires.

“Anytime you play Fullerton there’s a lot of emotion,” Sowder said. “There was that call that they weren’t happy with, but [the umpiring] was not a difference-maker in either game.”

After the ejection, the Titans responded with a Lupinetti RBI single to cut LBSU’s lead to 2-1, but K.C. Craddick was caught in a rundown to end the inning.

The 49ers play the series finale against Fullerton Sunday at 1 p.m., with five seniors set to be honored before first pitch. Griffin understands the special occasion of Sunday’s game, but said the team remains focused on completing the series sweep.

“It’s kind of sad that tomorrow will be [the seniors’] last home game, but we have to come out with an aggressive mindset and not sit back on today’s wins,” Griffin said.

Excellent recap, Mr. Lee. Go Beach!!!!