Sports, Women's Basketball

Wynn makes first decision, adds 3 assistant coaches

First-year head coach Jody Wynn announced her three new women’s basketball assistants Tuesday: her husband Derek Wynn, Jeffrey Cammon and Laura Freimuth.

An expected hire, Derek Wynn earned a bachelor’s degree in kinesiology from Cal State Fullerton in 1996. He then went on to obtain his master’s and a teaching credential from Azusa Pacific in 1999.

He began his assistant coaching career at Pepperdine University, where he was a coach alongside Long Beach State’s new head coach. He helped lead the Waves to five postseason appearances and three West Coast Conference titles. He moved with coach Wynn to USC where he has spent the past five seasons, the first two of which the Women of Troy advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

“Derek is a proven coach from both USC and Pepperdine,” Jody Wynn said. “[Derek] has an extensive knowledge and background in defense, recruiting and the game of women’s basketball.”

Cammon, who has spent the last past two seasons running the sidelines at Bishop Alemany High School, is making his return to the collegiate level. Cammon had served as an assistant at Kentucky Wesleyan College, Chaffey Community College and his alma mater Alcorn State University.

“Jeff has a great working relationship with both players and administrators, and having played at the Division I level, he understands what it takes to be successful on and off the court,” Wynn said.

As a player, Cammon led his team to three conference championships and the NCAA Tournament in the 2001-02 season.

The third assistant, Freimuth, spent six years with her alma mater USC. She was the team’s video coordinator and manager before becoming the Trojans’ director of basketball operations in 2008.

After spending two years at Fullerton College, Freimuth graduated from USC in 2005 with a bachelor’s degree in communications before continuing on to her master’s in post-secondary administration and student affairs.

“Laura and I have worked together for the past five years and she is a tireless and dedicated coach who brings great energy to 49er women’s basketball,” Wynn said.

Michelle Erickson will be returning for her second year as the director of basketball operations.

“Michelle has made my transition to The Beach so smooth,” Wynn said. “She has taken the initiative to help me in all aspects of the program and I am thrilled to have her as part of the staff.”