Softball, Sports

Sowder earns 100th victory in softball doubleheader

Game 1 box score

Game 2 box score

The Long Beach State softball team swept Pacific in a Big West Conference doubleheader on Friday afternoon, winning 6-1 and 2-1 (eight innings), at Bill Simoni Field.

With the victories, third-year head coach Kim Sowder surpassed the century mark, improving her career record to 101-61 (.623).

In the opener, LBSU (33-19, 14-6 Big West) scored six runs over the final two innings to overcome an early 1-0 deficit. Senior Danielle Linke anchored the late 49er rally, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI. Classmate Jonae Perez chipped in a pair of hits, while junior Brandy Reyes drove in two.

Sophomore starting pitcher Brooke Turner (17-11) went the distance in the circle, giving up one run on nine hits while striking out five.

Pacific (18-33, 3-17 Big West) broke a scoreless tie in the bottom of the fourth when Casey Goldsand singled home Amanda Collier.

The Tigers held on to the lead until The Beach erupted for four runs on four hits in the sixth inning. Junior Jodi Nakawatase and Linke led off the inning with back-to-back singles. Both runners advanced a base on junior Ashley Weber’s conference-leading 26th sacrifice bunt, before senior Jennifer Griffin walked to load the bases.

A wild pitch tied the score at 1-1 and Perez followed with what proved to be the game-winning RBI. Reyes kept the rally alive, delivering a two-out, two-run single to give the 49ers a 4-1 advantage.

LBSU tacked on two more runs in the seventh for the final 6-1 margin.

LBSU 2, Pacific 1 (8 innings)

In the back end of the doubleheader, freshman starter Taylor Petty (14-4) led The Beach to a 2-1 win, scattering just three hits over eight innings, while tying her career-high with 11 strikeouts.

Ashley Levine drove in the game-winning run in the eighth as six different 49ers recorded a hit.

The ‘Niners took a 1-0 lead in the top of sixth with Linke doubling to start the inning. After Weber was hit by a pitch, Griffin grounded out but advanced both runners. Perez then singled home Linke to put LBSU on top.

The Tigers quickly responded in the bottom half of the frame when Nicole Matson hit a fly ball to left field, scoring Goldsand from third.

LBSU eventually pushed the game-winning run across in the eighth. With two outs, Griffin and Perez drew back-to-back walks, setting up Levine’s RBI single.

Petty then struck out the side in the bottom half of the frame to give the 49ers the series victory.

The Beach closes out the regular season tomorrow when it takes on the Tigers in the series finale at noon at Bill Simoni Field.