Softball, Sports

Possible meeting with UNLV exudes familiarity

UNLV softball head coach Pete Manarino probably won’t need a scouting report if the Rebels meet Long Beach State in the NCAA Regionals this weekend.

The first-year head coach and LBSU Hall of Famer spent 23 seasons in the 49ers’ dugout, compiling an 843-508-2 record to go with five Women’s College World Series appearances (1986, 1990-93). This season, the Rebels are 31-19 as they prepare for Friday’s regional opener at Easton Stadium on the campus of UCLA.

A five-time Big West Conference Coach of the Year, Manarino led UNLV to a 4-2 win over the ‘Niners earlier this season.

“There was a lot of emotion in that game,” Manarino recalled via phone call Monday morning. “There’s players on that team that I’ve coached. [Volunteer assistant coach] Ralph Levy is my best friend so there’s a lot of emotion.

“I’ve coached [LBSU seniors] Breezy Goad and Jonae Perez. They’re a good team and very competitive. This is their 19th regional [appearance] so there’s great respect. It will be tough to play each other.”

He’s also no stranger to third-year head coach Kim Sowder. The former Kim Kostyk played four years for Manarino at The Beach (1989-92) and was part of three WCWS teams. She also was named a third-team All-American in 1991 and holds the school’s single-season (19) and career steals (50) records en route to a 49er Hall of Fame induction in 1998.

As head coach, Sowder owns a 102-61 career record. She spent 11 seasons as an associate/assistant 49er coach prior to taking the helm.

“Kim’s done a great job with the program and has kept it on track,” Manarino said. “She’s passionate and was a great player in the 90s.”

Sowder and Manarino exchanged phone calls as the selections were announced Sunday night and thoughts of an LBSU-UNLV meeting resurfaced.

“We talked on the phone last night during the selection,” Manarino said. “It will end up being an emotional game but we’ve just got to go out and play and have fun with it.”

The 49ers will start the Los Angeles Regional against host and No. 2 seed UCLA Friday at Easton Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.

Before the game, Manarino’s Rebels will face Fresno State at 1 p.m.