Men's Cross Country, Men's Water Polo, Sports

‘Niner Notes: Oct. 15-18

Women’s Soccer: Winless streak extended to four

The 49er women’s soccer team was unable to find the win column for the fourth consecutive match, falling 1-0 at Cal Poly on Sunday.

The Mustangs’ Tiffany Gummow slotted the lone goal of the match in the 47th minute. The Beach out-shot Cal Poly 15-8, and had a 6-4 advantage with shots on goal.

‘Niner midfielder Karina Camacho fired seven shots — three on goal — to lead the team, while Lindsay Bullock added three shots, with two of them going being on goal.

The 49ers (5-8-2, 1-3 Big West Conference) finish up the home portion of their schedule with two matches, starting with a 3 p.m. showdown against Cal State Fullerton on Thursday at George Allen Field. LBSU then hosts UC Riverside at 2 p.m. on Sunday.

UCSB 3, LBSU 2

The 49er women’s soccer team finally ended a two-match goal drought, but came away without a win for the third overtime in a row, Thursday at UC Santa Barbara.

UCSB’s Alissa Sanchez netted the game-winner in the 95th minute to lift the Gauchos to a 3-2 decision over The Beach.

LBSU midfielder Shawna Gordon notched a goal and an assist in the match, leading the team with three shots on goal.

The 49ers (5-7-2, 1-2 Big West Conference) pulled ahead, 2-1, in the 83rd minute when defender Bo Rael slotted her first career goal, but UCSB senior Genelle Ives scored on a header three minutes later to send the match into extra-time.

UCSB (7-7-1, 4-1 Big West) was first to jump on the scoreboard with a strike in the 29th minute from Kylie McDonald.

LBSU wraps up the Central Coast road trip on Sunday at Cal Poly. The match is slated to begin at 1 p.m.

Men’s Water Polo: The Beach falls at No. 1 USC 

The No. 7 49ers lost, 9-4, at USC in a Mountain Pacific Sports Federation match on Saturday at McDonald’s Swim Stadium in Los Angeles.

The ‘Niners (6-8, 0-3 MPSF) cut the deficit to 5-3 in the third period on a Joe Sherrin goal, before the Trojans netted the next three to pull away.

Jeff Greenwood, Kevin Mundia and Alexsandr Petrovic also chipped in one goal apiece for LBSU. ‘Niner goalie Derek Wiebe-Bailey tallied 13 saves in the match.

The Trojans, now boasting a 36-match home winning-streak, were paced by three goals from Shea Buckner.

The Beach returns home to face UC Santa Barbara at noon on Saturday, in the first of six consecutive matches to be played at the 49er Campus Pool.

UC Irvine 9, LBSU 8

UC Irvine’s Brandon Johnson recorded three goals, including the game-winner, to help the Anteaters edge LBSU, 9-8, Thursday at the Anteater Pool.

The 49ers received two goals apiece from Mundia, Taylor Clute and Petrovic.

Wiebe-Bailey stopped eight shots in a losing effort.

LBSU returns to action on Saturday at 1 p.m. when the team travels to face No. 1 USC in Los Angeles.

Cross Country: 49er men grab title, women place third at Bronco Invite

The Long Beach State men’s cross country team scored 69 points to edge second place Fresno State by three and third place Boise State by 57 to defend its 8K title at the Bronco Invitational in Sunnyvale, Calif. on Saturday.

Junior Travis Kuhlman was the top LBSU finisher after crossing the line third with a personal best time of 24:38. The 49ers also received Top 20 finishes from sophomore Matt Maldonado, who finished 17th with a time of 25:00 and junior Steven DeCastro, who nabbed 18th with a time of 25:02.

In the women’s 5K race, The Beach finished third with 104 points, coming 15 points behind second place San Francisco and 55 points behind first place New Mexico State.

Freshman Anne Randall was the 49er women’s top finisher, crossing the line in 17:33 to place ninth and collect her first Top 10 finish this season.

Other Top 20 finishers for the women were sophomore Alisia Barajas, who clocked in at 17th with a time of 17:50 and junior Jennifer Rodriguez, who registered a personal-best 17:51 to finish 20th.

The 49ers next compete at the Titan Invitational in Fullerton on Friday, Oct. 23. The women’s 5K is scheduled for 4:45 p.m., while the men’s 8K race is slated for a 5:15 p.m. start.