Men's Cross Country, Sports

Women place 4th, men take 5th at Big West Championships

Men’s results | Women’s results

The Long Beach State women’s cross country team finished in fourth place, with the men taking fifth, at the Big West Conference Championships Saturday morning at UC Riverside’s Agricultural Operations Course.

The LBSU women recorded 100 points to take fourth in the nine-team field, led by senior Missy Barclay’s eighth-place showing in the 6K race, with a time of 21:01.8.

Freshman Anne Randall ran a 21:15.1 to place 13th. Alisia Barajas also cracked the Top 20, registering a 21:21.0 to come in 18th place.

UC Santa Barbara bagged the women’s team competition with 50 points, while UC Davis’ Sarah Sumpter captured the women’s individual crown with a time of 20:34.0.

The 49er men produced a fifth-place finish in the eight-team field with 117 points. Travis Kuhlman paced the men in the 8K with an 11th place time of 24:32.2.

Matt Maldonado came in 16th with a time of 24:44.7 as teammate Dylan Jaedtke followed in 17th place, clocking in at 24:47.5.

The Cal Poly men took home the program’s seventh consecutive Big West title after tallying 28 points. Joe Gatel produced a time of 23:36.8 to grab the men’s individual race as five Mustang runners placed in the Top 10.

Up next on the cross country calendar will be the NCAA West Regionals in Eugene, Ore. on Nov. 14.